City names

Find support, discuss issues, report in game bugs found here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

HercMighty
Warrant Officer

City names

Post by HercMighty »

Turning on the option to have city names displayed on the main map doesn't seem to work.

I am expecting to see the name of the city next to the actual city on the map but they do not appear.

Also does "range circles" and "range finder" work?

Also with the side panels on and a unit selected I get a green bar covering part of the unit name. There also seems to be a gray star above the bar. And what is this bar for?

Also I had a infantry unit selected and then I clicked on "transport options" on the unit pop-up and this green bar partially covers the transports name.
Last edited by HercMighty on May 13 2005, edited 2 times in total.
Domestos
Lieutenant

Post by Domestos »

What happend if you hover your cursoe over the city>?
HercMighty
Warrant Officer

Post by HercMighty »

Domestos wrote:What happend if you hover your cursoe over the city>?
Nothing
George Geczy
General

Re: City names

Post by George Geczy »

>"Turning on the option to have city names displayed on the main map doesn't seem to work."
>"Also does "range circles" and "range finder" work?"

A few of the options are not implemented yet, even though the option switches are displayed - on-map city names and range circles are planned in a future update. We should have hidden the option buttons not to confuse people, but hey :-?

>"Also with the side panels on and a unit selected I get a green bar covering part of the unit name."
The green bars next to (and sometimes overlapping) unit names represent the unit strength and also their 'condition'. When a unit gets damaged the bar length is reduced. As well, if a unit is out of fuel or ammo, or supressed, or retreating, or low on morale or efficiency, the bar will start to go yellow and then red.

Unfortunately some places where unit names are show are so small that there is an overlap.

-- George.
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

George Geczy wrote: A few of the options are not implemented
:o
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Baloogan wrote::o
Nothing really to :o about, there were a lot of places where we picked up new ideas during the beta (range circles and city names on the map were actually two suggestions made right here on this very forum!), and so we said "hey, that's a great idea!", but the ideas came up too late in the development cycle to actually hit the code. Since they are on our 'wish list' of new features, we added them to the options menu, but didn't hide the selection when the feature wasn't available yet.

And don't get Chris started on how many options there are, he always thought there were way too many :-) In fact, a lot of the UI tweaking options are only accessible by modding the INI files, not through the options menu itself.

-- George.
alexgem
Corporal

Post by alexgem »

George Geczy wrote:>"Turning on the option to have city names displayed on the main map doesn't seem to work."

A few of the options are not implemented yet, even though the option switches are displayed - on-map city names and range circles are planned in a future update.

-- George.
This may be a dumb question, but I still don't have the game... and this doubt makes me anxious (I definitely want and hope to see my city on the map :-) :-) ), city names currently don't appear on map, no problem, but city names are somehow visible (right-clicking on hex or whatever) , of course???
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

yes, if you look at hex details, the name is there.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
HercMighty
Warrant Officer

Post by HercMighty »

Actually I use the side panels. This allows me to see a lot of different data depending on what panels are open at the bottom and where the cursor is.

For instance with no panels open I can select a hex and the side panel gives me information on it. Then as I move the cursor around it gives me information for wherever the cursor happens to be. Nice for comparing cities for example.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The side panels are actually a long standing arguement amongst the dev team. Half of the team wanted to dump them entirely even before the beta.

This is why we made it an option, not a default ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

What side panels??? :wink: Nothing about them in the manual. (Probably because I wrote the manual... :-) )

Actually the side panels aren't too bad if you're running the game at 1280x1024, but lower than that I always felt they took up to much screen real estate.

fyi --- For those that want to look at this option, use <Ctrl> + <Shift> + <T>
- David
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

From a quick count, I think there are actually 14 different ways to show or find the name of a city :-) The 'on map overlay' will be number 15 when we add it :-)

-- George.

Return to “SR2010 Support”