Scenario editor is "hell"

Using Supreme Ruler's Map Editor you can modify existing scenarios or design your own. Discuss your scenarios being developed and find design and map editor assistance inside this forum. Also discuss combining regions and the steps to create missions.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

MaxRiga
Colonel

Scenario editor is "hell"

Post by MaxRiga »

Hi
what am I doing wrong
all I need is just replace all units on the map

I've read sr2010 instructions but still can't make it working

Here what I do -

1-move the files World War III.GMC, WorldWarIII.GAM and WorldWarIII.MAP to CUSTOM folder
2-open Editor and click - NEW GAME
3-add World War III as NAME OF GAME FILE and WorldWarIII as - MAP FILE
4-map is loaded. I simply click - delete all units and when I see that all units disappeared from the screen I click SAVE AS - WorldWarIII
5-I open SR2010 game , go to LOAD-CUSTOM-WORLDWARIII and the game goes to main lobby, nothing is happening !!!

I still can't understand why Naval Conquest scenario works without csv file and where is csv original file for WorldWarIII ????

Also, when I'm trying to load the saved WORLDWARIII file it's not loading ( but two other files that was there by default are loading without problems )

What am I doing wrong and will it be easier in SR2020 to play with editor of the game?
... lai dzivo latvija !
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

sorry I'm being slow to get to this, it's been more than a year now since I've worked in the old Mapeditor. I'll try and have some info on this by Monday...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

Balthagor wrote:sorry I'm being slow to get to this, it's been more than a year now since I've worked in the old Mapeditor. I'll try and have some info on this by Monday...
thank u
waiting for ur answer

also, is there a way to turn off World Market units presents and decrease units building for AI on 50% ( may be this will reduce slowing down of the whole game ? )
... lai dzivo latvija !
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The only way to reduce the unit count is the manually delete them from the map. Same for WM units, but there aren't many of those and they are "idle" so little affect on performance.

Been so busy with other work, still haven't reviewed this :oops:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Scenario editor is "hell"

Post by Balthagor »

Okay, I took a few minutes and have some things for you to try...
MaxRiga wrote:...1-move the files World War III.GMC, WorldWarIII.GAM and WorldWarIII.MAP to CUSTOM folder
What about the .GMT file? If you open the .GMC file in Notepad you'll see that it specifies a .GAM and a .GMT. This is probably why your map won't load, you're telling it to read a file that does not exist.
MaxRiga wrote:...2-open Editor and click - NEW GAME
Why are you using new? You're starting from an existing file, you should use load. If you want to save it as something else, change the name in the popup for "Scenario/Upgrade Information" and in "Map Terrain/Owner Info" (your step #3)and then use Save As.

MaxRiga wrote:...I still can't understand why Naval Conquest scenario works without csv file and where is csv original file for WorldWarIII ????
Which CSV file are you talking about? None of the maps use a CSV when they are done being created. Some CSV files are imported in the mapeditor, but after importing the data is stored in the .GAM file. You could delete the .CSVs when you're done importing them.
MaxRiga wrote:...Also, when I'm trying to load the saved WORLDWARIII file it's not loading ( but two other files that was there by default are loading without problems )
This might again be the .GMT file, not sure, I'd need more info...
MaxRiga wrote:...What am I doing wrong and will it be easier in SR2020 to play with editor of the game?
SR2020 does not include a "Map Editor" but things like the units are stored in CSV files, not imported into the game files so are much easier to edit, but it means that to "put the files together" - making a cache file - can take 45-120 mins. Nice thing is once the cache file is done, it takes about 30secs to load when you want to play it.

I'll try and detail some of this stuff in the next couple weeks...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

MaxRiga wrote:
...1-move the files World War III.GMC, WorldWarIII.GAM and WorldWarIII.MAP to CUSTOM folder

What about the .GMT file? If you open the .GMC file in Notepad you'll see that it specifies a .GAM and a .GMT. This is probably why your map won't load, you're telling it to read a file that does not exist.
there is no GMT file for Naval Conquest and Adriatics scenarios in CUSTOM folder. But any way, i have in custom folder now now -

WorldWarIII.GMT
World War III.GMC
WorldWarIII.GAM
WorldWarIII.MAP

Why are you using new? You're starting from an existing file, you should use load.
I open editor, choose LOAD - WorldWarIII and ... nothing happens :)))

you guys confused ur self with such editor )))
... lai dzivo latvija !
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

MaxRiga wrote:...there is no GMT file for Naval Conquest and Adriatics scenarios in CUSTOM folder. But any way, i have in custom folder now now -

WorldWarIII.GMT
World War III.GMC
WorldWarIII.GAM
WorldWarIII.MAP
well that won't work, check the mapeditor documentation, that's not the folder for a custom .GMT file. And if you open the Naval Conquest .GMC file you'll see that it doesn't say it has one so works fine. You'll probably find it easier to just modify the WWIII .GMC file and ignore the .GMT (It's just storyline and e-mails anyway).

The fact that you can't "load" in the mapeditor would be the first problem to solve. If you can't load it in the mapeditor, you won't be able to load it in the game either.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

Balthagor wrote:
MaxRiga wrote:...there is no GMT file for Naval Conquest and Adriatics scenarios in CUSTOM folder. But any way, i have in custom folder now now -

WorldWarIII.GMT
World War III.GMC
WorldWarIII.GAM
WorldWarIII.MAP
well that won't work, check the mapeditor documentation, that's not the folder for a custom .GMT file. And if you open the Naval Conquest .GMC file you'll see that it doesn't say it has one so works fine. You'll probably find it easier to just modify the WWIII .GMC file and ignore the .GMT (It's just storyline and e-mails anyway).

The fact that you can't "load" in the mapeditor would be the first problem to solve. If you can't load it in the mapeditor, you won't be able to load it in the game either.
it's tooo complicated. if u will ever decide to create editor for sr2020 i hope u make it possible to work with one file only, as it used to be in other games.
but any way, i've made it my way, lol
going to create another topic for those who want to use this maps.
... lai dzivo latvija !
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

any ideas why i have crash on those files? ( i've delited all military posts, aeroports and ports )

http://rapidshare.com/files/121590675/Custom.zip.html
... lai dzivo latvija !

Return to “Design Scenarios, Grouping Regions, Creating Missions”