Customized Scenarios Not Working!

Using Supreme Ruler's Map Editor you can modify existing scenarios or design your own. Discuss your scenarios being developed and find design and map editor assistance inside this forum. Also discuss combining regions and the steps to create missions.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

mggebriel
Corporal

Customized Scenarios Not Working!

Post by mggebriel »

Hi All,

This is my attempt with designing scenarios!

- I've taken the GMC MAP & GAM files from the orginal locations and put in the custom folder.
- Then using the Map Editor, I've cutomized the terrain, facility upgrades and added a few units, then saved the files. I have a new GAM & MAP file with the same time stamp.
- In the GMC file, I've changed some belli figures and available arms.
- When I try to run the scenario from custom scenarios in the game, the game returns to menu a few seconds afer pressing start.

ANY HELP!?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

If your GMC still has a reference to a GMT the program may get confused. I suggest removing that while you work on your scenario. Or you can create an empty GMT in the localization custom GMT folder (don't recall the precise location ATM).

Does that solve the problem?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mggebriel
Corporal

Post by mggebriel »

Thanx a million Chris, this simple thing has been driving me crzay for a couple of days now!

I think we players should neber underestimate the powers of the develeoprs!

Another thing, which I was keping for later, was how to edit country specific data, such as tech level, GDP/per capita, debts, etc.. I don't seem to undertsnad where the data is stored. I've looked into the cvars importing exercise, but there is no specifc file whcih I should edit!?
mggebriel
Corporal

Post by mggebriel »

Ironically, after successfully testing the custom scenario and contiuing with more customization the scenario failed again. Same syptom as before going back to the meun when you press start.

All I did was add units, change the name of the scenario, making sure all 3 map, gam and gmc files had the same name. GMC file points to the correct gam, with no reference to gmt. Any idea?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

mggebriel wrote:...Another thing, which I was keping for later, was how to edit country specific data, such as tech level, GDP/per capita, debts,...
All three of these are in the Player Variables files for a given scenario. gdpc is the header for GDP/c and techmil is for the tech level of the region.
mggebriel wrote:...the scenario failed again....All I did was add units, change the name of the scenario...
That would be the problem. Changing the name of a scenario is a tricky thing and a royal pain. what you will want to do is, in windows, make copies of the existing files (GAM.MAP and GMC) and rename these manually to the new name. Then open the old filenames in the mapeditor and save as the new name (which will overwrite where needed the files you've created). While there are probably unnecessary steps to this method, I'm only about 90% sure even this way will work. Haven't had to do this since I created WWIII a few years ago so I'm a little rusty.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mggebriel
Corporal

Post by mggebriel »

Nope that didn't solve it. Don't forget that the "existing files" are the ones not working in the game. The ones which were working are no longer available! What else could cause the game to revert back to the menu?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

If it goes back to the menu that means it didn't find a file it was looking for (if it was not programmed to have an escape route it would crash the program).

Do you still have a copy of what worked? If you have to, name them back to what they where and it should be possible to perform the steps I suggested.

If it still won't load in game but does open in the mapeditor, e-mail me the files with the names you're trying to give it and I'll give it a try, as I said I haven't done this in a while so I might be missing a step...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mggebriel
Corporal

Post by mggebriel »

Will, before I do, i'll try to do everything again before giving up.

Until now, I've added the original game scenario files again. Only customized the gmc file. Tested that and its working. Now I'll go through the whole terrain, upgrades and units customization again, testing the scenarion step by step as I go. I'll let you know once i bump into another deadend.

Thanx a lot.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Happy to help, I look forward to trying your scenario ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mggebriel
Corporal

Post by mggebriel »

Well, a lesson learned that I should pass to everyone is to always "save as" after any changes and not "save". I've been able to finalize and successfully test customization of terrain, upgrade facilities and units as well as customizing belli effects and arms available in the GMC file.

Now I have these to solve;

1- I did see the relationship bars change due to the modified belli figures, but although I have added arm region codes to the available arms in the gmc, this did not affect the units I am able to build or research. I would then assume that these codes only affect the arm deals that I am offered. Please validate.

2- Concerning the scenario variable files, as you know there are no files for each scenario, so I took the world.csv, modified it to the countries I needed. (some of them were not there and had to be added), them modified only the figures which I needed, then deleted anything else I didn't need. I've deleted columns for countries I didn't need to change or even have in the scenario and rows for info I didn't need to change. The result was catastrophic. I assumed data, which was not imported by the editor remain unchanged, but it seems that missing data changes existing ones with zeros!. Now how am I supposed to write up an entire file with all data if I don't even know the original values for the countries in my scenario? Is there anyway to export the file with original values then edit it?

Thanx in advance.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

1. Correct. The region codes available to research are specified in the Player Vars.

2. If you ask, I will make any variables file available. Did you check the Wiki to see which ones are available? I don't suggest using a vars from one for a different scenario unless you're starting from scratch.

There is no way to export the data. You'd have to look it all up inside the game from the first day values of each region and even then some data isn't shown.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mggebriel
Corporal

Post by mggebriel »

Hi Chris,

I haven't been able to find any var files at all on the supreme wiki. I would appreciate if you can provide the mideast file.

Many Thanx.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

In the modding section, under Custom Player Variables Files. At the end of the text there is a link for the Player Configuration Files

This is one of the scenarios I created so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mggebriel
Corporal

Post by mggebriel »

Thanx Chris!

Looking forward to come back soon and trouble you with more questions :wink:

Return to “Design Scenarios, Grouping Regions, Creating Missions”