Scenario Design Tutorial

Using Supreme Ruler's Map Editor you can modify existing scenarios or design your own. Discuss your scenarios being developed and find design and map editor assistance inside this forum. Also discuss combining regions and the steps to create missions.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Legend
General
Human: Yes

Scenario Design Tutorial

Post by Legend »

[edit by Balthagor] - removed old link, link is dead.

Chris has started an ongoing tutorial for map design, located on our web site. There will be regular additions in the form of new sessions as a the future scenario "New Bavaria" is created.

[edit by Balthagor] New link; http://www.battlegoat.com/tutorial_mapdesign.php
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

uhuh :-? *starts doubting* it's tuesday today...that means u guys had atleast 8 workhours time (yesterday) and 8 hours today :P...I expec tto to see it today or else I will mod in a screaming little girl as my ubersoldier for my map :evil:

Lol anyways :), I got a different question. Do you guys plan to release the scenario template vars? so that we can edit the scenario's to a deeper level. Currently we can only edit the scenario's we make with the template by importing it, but how can we edit the scenario setting (such as gdp/c, inflation, unemployment, social welfare and that stuff) for other scenario's?

I hope we can get them because I am very eager to edit the europe scenario with the template...hope u guys release them :(

shouldn't be that hard...you guys should have them backupped somewhere or something so just posting them would be a great help to the entire modding community :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I'll ask David about the templates next week (he's on vacation) and Daxon is in the middile of moving, that is why he didn't get to it on Friday. Posting the next session is his priority when he gets in but the move has to come first, lawyers with deadlines you know! ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

Workshop 3 is now complete.
You can see a list of the Workshops for the game design tutorial here - http://www.supremeruler2010.com/srcustom.php

Or go straight to the page for the first one and jump to the other ones here...
#1 - http://www.supremeruler2010.com/tutorial_mapdesign.php
#2 - http://www.supremeruler2010.com/tutorial_mapdesign2.php
#3 - http://www.supremeruler2010.com/tutorial_mapdesign3.php

Stay tuned for #4, coming soon.
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
devpar
Private

Can you fix the link?

Post by devpar »

Chris' map design workshop was of great help to me awhile back. I am definately not a programmer, but at least I was able to load a scenario and modify a few things. I guess it was lost with the new website upgrade. If anyone could restablish the link I would sure appreciate it.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Great to know that someone at least read it! :P

Thanks or mentioning about the link, the new link is already set; http://www.battlegoat.com/tutorial_mapdesign.php
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SixthtySixthSix
Lieutenant

Re: Scenario Design Tutorial

Post by SixthtySixthSix »

Was enjoying the tutorial greatly... when phooosh! At about 21:35 today it disappeared. Forum is still here, but none of the tutorial pages will load into my browser... ?!?! Maintenance? Aha, looks like it was maintenance...

It might be prudent to add to the tutorial for anyone running 2010 under Vista that the editor requires that it be run with administrator privileges, or the editor won't be able to build any of the files... :P
Last edited by SixthtySixthSix on Jan 13 2009, edited 1 time in total.
SixthtySixthSix
Lieutenant

!!!
It seems that development of scenarios for 2010 would often involve modding pre-existant maps... can we get tutorials on how to-

???
Use the Clear All Units/Clear All Facilities Buttons

???
Set/Reset Researched Unit Designs

?+
A List of Editor Hot Keys Would be Great

?+
A Note About Running Map Editor as Administrator in Vista
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I don't think the 2010 map editor has been tried under vista yet.

Hopefully someone else can offer you a few tips, haven't used that map editor in about 2 years...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SixthtySixthSix
Lieutenant

I've been following the learning curve up, slowly, and have managed to answer a few of my own questions-

The Clear All Units/Facilities Button is not located under the map units editor, but located in the files box... got it.

I have managed to follow the simple example of how to load a custom srunits.csv into the editor, and have saved it as a custom .UNI file. I have verified the change in data in an in-game setting, however...

1)- ...as the srunits.csv that the game is using must be the one that i imported in the editor, then the units in the game are the units listed in the srunits.csv...

2)- ...then, thusly, the following unit-

11 Special Forces 0 Infantry UENIVK 1990 5 35 1.5 1 5.56 8 0 - - 0 Leg 40 20 2 - 0 soft 140 180 10 N 1 1 1 0 25 20 20 12 0 0 1 0 0 0 28 24 20 20 24 0 0 0.005 0.5 N N N N N N N Y Y Y N N N N N N N N N N N N N Y N N 0 - - 0 0 2 2 X 14 1 16 1 2 3 4

...must be the unit that appears as one of the several units available to be built when the game opens - there is only one special forces unit in the entire .csv. The country code and the unit cost above are in red. The country I am playing is Germany. The country availability code does not match Germany.

3)- I have set the tech level of Germany to 40. The required build tech level of this unit is being reported as 90 with no research prerequisites. All of the other infantry units listed as available to be built are-

Unit, Required Tech Level

Conscript, 0
Garrison, 0
Airborne, 0
Airborne Elite, 80
Special Forces, 90
Light Infantry, 0
Engineer, 0
Marder-1A3, 83
TPZ1-ICV Fuchs (Fox), 80
MT-LB, 70
4K-4FA APC, 60
Condor APC, 78

It seems that the required tech levels for some of these units would disallow the units from being built... ?!

4)- The map has no units in the field or in reserve.
SixthtySixthSix
Lieutenant

...i hate that i am answering myself, but perhaps it will serve others as a log... :P

I have ascertained that the required tech levels being reported for the suspect units correspond directly to the year of manufacture- all of them are listed in the srunits.csv as AVAILABLE in the year 19xx, where xx is also being reported as the required regional tech level to build these items...

i.e.- if a unit became availabe in 1983 (srunits.csv), it would be listed as available to build in the game with a required tech level of 83.

If, however, your country's tech level is below xx, the units will still be listed as available to build...

Setting the date of the conflict to a date prior to the unit's availability does not correct this problem...

Thusly, bugged code must be responsible for the discrepency...

Prolly a calculation involving the year 2000?

Any suggestions on what modification to srunits.csv will work around this problem?
SixthtySixthSix
Lieutenant

Aha! It was that the unit had been set as researched all along. The editor had two Germanys listed in the country pane. The researched units checkbox was in the other window and I did not see it. :D

Return to “Design Scenarios, Grouping Regions, Creating Missions”