Nukes - do all launch at once?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

SGTscuba
General

Nukes - do all launch at once?

Post by SGTscuba »

When I fill a silo full of nukes, will they all fire at once?

When I fill a launcher (ground air or sub), will it launch all nukes aboard it or once or do i have to independantly target them (which is good)?

I read the manual of the european release but couldn't find this in it.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Nope.I dont think they do.
You have to aim each one.Seperately.Which considering how the AI overuses missiles,is probably a good thing

I am STILL in the process of trying to aim 5 thousand + at once, for a nuke the whole world movie.

Takes like 5 minutes just to load a save(i think becuase the nukes dont stack correcttly under certain circumstances),which i need to do to test fire to see what i havent targeted yet.Then i need to reload the save again target places not yet targeted and repeat.

Nukes can be built with the authorized box checked, but the box doesnt show up for the missile after its built or after its deployed.

Which makes me think that the AI will not auto target and shoot off nukes.
This is in addition to the manual target button for each nuke that you seem to have to use to get a nuke to fire.

Now its possible im wrong,as this nuke the world project is the only real experience ive had with nukes in game.

And also, this applies to my experience with silo based nukes.Not sure about unit based ones.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

good cos i wanna fire one at a time, on psp atm hard to type, thx for quick reply.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

sub launchs all at once on fire missile but does anyone know how to aim them one by one? any input will be useful
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Ill go in and look, i post an answer IF i have one tommorrow.
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

If you want to hit multiple targets with nukes from a sub,it seems you have to be very fast and aim each one individually.

I was able to hit 4 targets while firing 5 missiles.The instant you hear the fire sound pause the game and pick a new target.

Its tough to do, its not efficient,and its no fun.BUT it can be done.

Oddly, the subs dont seem to fire the nukes on their own IF given authority.

Some other oddities include a failure to stack properly and show properly that all missiles have launch authority IF you fire off some,reload, than give 6the newly loaded m ssiles authority (they should merge into one stack when you do this this, they dont)

Also when you click the adjust missile load button, the nuke icon is shown, but the text for it reads "chemical" instead of nuke for the missiles.

The game is running while i type this, so ill add anything else i see odd as time goes on.

Addition #1.

Oddly a sub can fire nukes at itself.Evener odder, 3 nuke hits do no damage.The sub is unscathed after hitting itself 3 times with nukes.
EDIT #1 THIS ONLY SEEMS TO WORK IN W.M. WATERS.I tried it in an allies waters and the command to fire does not show,which is how its supposed to work.
Edit #2 Sadly the map im on doesnt seem to have a W.M. port.I know some of the maps do, so ill have to find one and try this on it.
I suspest ive just found a way to nuke world market territory.Simply park a nuke on a W.M. hex, and shoot yourself .
I will of course test this.

Addition #2.
Due to a time delay between the computer knowing a treaty status has changed and making it official, its possible for an ally to kill your units and cause a friendly fire message,before the war is officially declared.

So the AI makes the decision and attacks.BUT the system hasnt had a chance to update the status between you and them to war, so it shows as friendly fire for a few attacks til the system makes the status update.
Chuckle TM
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

But in reality subs can only launch 1 at a time. They are usually indepentently targeted and so I think that subs should be treated like underwater silos like they are in real life.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Your premise that nukes on subs should be handled the same way as nukes in silos i would agree with.Its been said in the past and its a good idea.

As for how many can be fired at one time in reallife,i think your wrong.Last id heard the Ohio was being refit to launch circa 22 nukes at once(via tomahawk tubes).
Than theres the time passage in game issue.Where a single movement by the timer equals minutes.

If anything, id say the game downgrades missile launch capacity vs time, for the same reasons it downgrades missile travel speed.
IE things would just happen too fast for some people to be happy with if they didnt :P
Chuckle TM
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

missiles should be faster, i dont care if i see them as long as they hit their target. but i read somewhere they could only fire them one at a time ( this is SSBN tridents). Shame subs cant launhc their nukes one at a time, its a real pain in the butt.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”