Unit stacking limits

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Tnarg
Colonel

Unit stacking limits

Post by Tnarg »

Hi there, I am a new person to the forum. My previous game of choice was Hearts of Iron II and then I discovered this game and am blown. I have been looking for a game like this that is layered in complexity and realism.

Anyways, I am curious to know about what some of the limits and penalties there are for stacking units. I am assuming that 7 battalions would be a rough approximation of a Brigade size organization. Anyways playing on a larger map with literally hundreds of battalions, I can only stack so many of them as many a scenerio says 7 to a hex. Now with only 10 Groups that can be organized, that leaves many battalions that stand idle.

If I were to organize my military into larger stacks of 14 or even up to 28 to a group, what kind of penalties will I run into? Would the initiative of the stack automatically spread it out over a couple of hexes or do they all try and travel together at the slowest battalions speed?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

at 7 they will not spread out
at 10 they will spread out at end of day
> 10 they will attempt to spread out immediately.

The stack penalty makes it that the attack strength of a stack > 7 is about equal to the attack strength of a stack = 7 so there is no benefit, but indirect damage will hit all units in a hex (one more as primary target).
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Will the stacks limits works the same in 2020?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

currently it does, we hooked back in the unit movement stuff that included the destack code and I've already seen units destack. Not sure if George or David had plans for us to change that.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”