Artificial Enhancements?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Steelsky
Captain

Post by Steelsky »

Sometimes they have news stories about for example the (Mainly US) fighter pilots deployed around the world getting various drugs to help them stay awake and alert during longer missions.

I am not in a position to know if it's true or not that they or any other nation use them but it's something that might be used in the game.

Is it currently on the list of things that will be in the game if it's not in already?

It could for example be in a format where you can choose to not use them, use them covertly or use them openly and get bonus/penalty based on that.

/Steelsky
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

One of the things that will be in the tech tree are "electronic implants" to help soldiers interface with the equipment for better performance. I do expect this will have a negative domestic effect however.
Steelsky
Captain

Post by Steelsky »

One of these days I'll think of something which you have not already implemented.

/Steelsky

Edit: I signed with my real name Søren, no reason to confuse you more than I already do :-)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steelsky on 2004-03-10 22:54 ]</font>
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Don't try too hard, remember that we are already cutting features due to lack of time. We'll soon reach a point where the game features are locked and new ideas we have to be put towards expansion or gold editions.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

"remember that we are already cutting features due to lack of time"

But why is the "Cutting Room Floor" so out of date then?

Are the features you cut that minor?
Can you give an example?

And what do you mean with feature lock,do you mean that no new ideas will be accepted or that no new ideas get in the retail version?
The beta that we have might be technically very stable and devoid of serious and obvious bugs but it is also very incomplete.
I dont know how far ahead the dev version is though.

Dont get me wrong,I can see the wisdom in the choice not to bombard us with all features right away.
This way we are focusing on the features that are there and perfect them as good as we can.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Juergen on 2004-03-11 12:59 ]</font>
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well of late the only feature I can think of that has been cut is "teamplay" that we had not really talked about anyway. We realized that giving allied victories as a option made teamplay somewhat redundent.

As for why I havent' been posting in the cutting room floor thread, it is quite simply that I am avoiding that thread entirely until the whole Unit Hierachy (that's what we call the unit grouping into regiments thing) issue has gone away. This is because, uck,argh!...

(Suddenly gets a traumatic flasback to arguments had in the office about unit hierachy, falls on the floor twitching... flashs of "..can't loose that feature!" and "...I know it's ackward, what else is there!?!". Starts to see a long tunnel of light, in the background hears "CLEAR!" Everything shakes as he comes out of it...)

... If you'll all excuse me, I'm gonna go lie down for a while...

CL.
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

For unit Hierarchy what you could do is just cheat. Call a group of land units a 'Battle Group', a group of Air Units a "Air Group" and a group of Sea Units a "Squardron" or "Task Force". They are generic enough terms.

As for enhancements, I have heard some saying they should develop and issue pharmaceutical skin patches to regulate fears, focus concentration and enhance endurance and strength. Personally I think this is a horrible idea. The last think you want is some drugged up psycho running around on the battlefield. Also, drugs of this kind have a tendancy to ruin a users heath. But then again, one of the groups that have proposed this would also cut vetrans benefits, so I guess it works out in the end, for them, not the vetrans. One of the groups is PNAC (Project for a New American Century). I'll put a link up in the Off Topic section.
steelforest2
Corporal

Post by steelforest2 »

Slash78 wrote:As for enhancements, I have heard some saying they should develop and issue pharmaceutical skin patches to regulate fears, focus concentration and enhance endurance and strength. Personally I think this is a horrible idea. The last think you want is some drugged up psycho running around on the battlefield. Also, drugs of this kind have a tendancy to ruin a users heath.
I saw a similar debate on another forum with a large number of veterans most of which said something like "long term health takes a back seat to short term survival in combat." Also short term side effects like compromised judgement usually recieve more attention because they can compromise a soldiers ability to survive.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”