Missiles

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Not sure if this has been discussed before.

Are long range (non nuclear) missiles available, like scuds and so on? How about Tomahawks and cruise missiles.

Just thought about Exocet and similar air launched anti-ship missiles too...
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

If your region has the technolgy, they'll be there!
- David
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Can bombers like the B-52 launch cruise missles form a distance against targets (if yes what can it target?)?
Can these cruise missles be nuclear?
Are ICBMs and other missles regular units on the map that can be destroyed,or do they have units that launch them (in case of the ICBM a silo)?
In case that they can be destroyed by other missles(preemtive strike) and units(nukes)there is a need to get them into the air before it is too late,is it possible to pretarget missles (just as in "Superpower")?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The B-52, like any other unit, will have a range that it can fire. A cruise missile equiped B-52 would be able to target anything you tell it too. You will also be able to tell a unit to "attack" or "attack NBC" and it would fire accordingly. You will however need to have units fitted for nuclear, but details on that are only just beginning to be determined. As you can tell, we have units launch missiles and do not treat them as seperate entities. We are still working on targeting issues as far as NBC weapons, and will be evaluating their in game effect before dealing with targeting.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

How long will the missles take to arrive at the target?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Not yet determined...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

And BTW is it possible to choose if the unit should make a n or b or c attack,or does it have to use all at once?
Can nuclear missles have warheads of different strengts?MIRVs?How strong is the maximum possible attack in the game(in Megatons)?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Some of the details on exact damage yield are still in research. It will be possible to specify if you want a N,B or C attack and current design called for 2 levels of nuclear; tactical and strategic. As far as Biological and Chemical, current design calls for a few of each, with different damage/adverse effects. Which agents would you like to see? I suspect Anthrax will have to be one of them…
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

What agents I would like to see?
Well actually...as much as possible ; )
Mustard Gas,VX,Sarin,Tabun just to name a few.There is a very good site at FAS concerning NBC weapons.

Only 2 levels for nukes..Im sorry to say that this doesnt sound very precise.And I hope not every unit capable of launching nukes can do a strategic attack.A Mig29 Fighter/Bomber may be capable of using nukes but I think its by far not a strategic nulcear attack,it should only be capable of a tactical nuclear strike.Strategic attacks should be limited to the most powerfull launchers like ICBMs and SSBNs.
More levels of nuclear attacks would be better though..
The game TOAWII handled nukes quite well,there was a special value for nuke attacks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Juergen on 2002-07-13 17:48 ]</font>
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

There is another thing that comes to my mind:
If missles are launched..can they be detected by the opponent,so that he can get his missles(or bombers) up soon enough?
I think there also should be some kind of profile for the missles since cruise missles usually fly very deep (Tomahawk) and are hardly detected before it is too late.And while cruise missles are more stealthy ICBMs are a LOT faster and reach their target within minutes,but since they fly into orbit they are easy to detect and the enemy may have to time to warn his people to get into the bunkers..: )
I dont know if it would be possible to build this into the game (or if it has already been done) but I think this would make nuclear conflicts very interesting.
BTW I have heard that there will be AWACS,they of course would be an execellent early warning system against missles.
And satellites are essential too of course..how about some SDI : ) ?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Not sure, what is SDI? As far as the nuclear conflict, we are taking in all the data everyone is giving and will give our answers as soon as we have them. One thing to note is that, althought the game is not turnbased, even in realtime there is a "time slice" effect of whatever the smalest passage of time represents. Our smallest time slice is around 10sec = 1 day. Based on a few minutes to deliver an ICBM, I suppose that nuclear attacks would happen almost instantaneously.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

"SDI" Strategic Defense Initiative. Yes, this will be a tech that you could research in the game.

As for the "Game Speed" and how it relates to a Nuclear Attack... that's why the game's progression is adjustable and pausable. Currently I feel that if a Nuclear Attack is launched against you, the game would briefly go into "Pause" mode and you would receive an Alert from your Military that a launch has been detected. You would then have to react (Launch Back, Ride it Out, etc.) and as soon as you make your decision, time will resume, but at the slowest setting until you accelerate it again if you want.

Obviously the actual "Time to Delivery" of missiles would have to be relatively accurate, so if a sub launches off your coast, you will only have time to make your reactionary decision, and any people/units in the target zone are not going to have time to evacuate.
- David
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

What wonderfull news : ) !
Thank you,you have saved my day.This game really looks more and more intersting...
Oh and as soon as the launch is started by the enemy and you get the message..how about a kind of timer (option) so that you have to make you choices quickly.And I think that this is the place to insert the "pre war missle plans" that you have made before (in case of the timer hopefully) to hit back as good as possible,or prevent future launchs by destroying known ICBM silos and airfields.
And based on the profile of the missles there might be a chance that you wont receive the warning soon enough or too late ; )
BTW how this going to work in multiplayer since the time will have to be stopped for everyone,if I understand it correctly.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

In Multi Player we would follow the same procedures as in Single Player. The reason for this is that even if you are not the target of a launch, if another player in your game lights off his missiles, you might want to get in on the action. Example : If Player A launches against Player B, you as Player C might think you're going to be the next target so also launch a retaliation against B (who has no qualms about taking things nuclear).

Design Note : Although nukes are a possibility, the game won't exactly encourage their use. Say you are the first one to become a nuclear power in a scenario and use that to launch... The World Market might think this wasn't a good move towards "Re-Uniting the World" and launch a retaliatory strike... Game Over :grin:
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Design Note : Although nukes are a possibility, the game won't exactly encourage their use. Say you are the first one to become a nuclear power in a scenario and use that to launch... The World Market might think this wasn't a good move towards "Re-Uniting the World" and launch a retaliatory strike... Game Over :grin:
Nice ; )
I like consequences since I believe that this risk makes nukes even funnier to use.No risk no fun.And besides I like realism (Harpoon,Sub Command,TOAW) and I think people not reacting nicely if you use nukes...well this is realistic.
What will be the difference between a tactical and a strategical launch in the game?Will the be anything in between?

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”