aircraft altitude

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

chandrill
Corporal

Post by chandrill »

I'm new to this game, but have been looking at it for a couple of days and it looks very good.
The one thing i've noticed is that it appears that all aircraft(other than bombers) have to drop to low altitude to attack ground targers? What i'm wondering is what about laser guided bombs and especially gps guided bombs(jdams). Afaik these can be dropped from high altitudes, at least against structures. I've heard at least 30k ft for american lgb's and much heigher for jdams. I'm just thinking that planes wouldn't have to drop to low altitude to attack buildings, might still have to for enemy units(much smaller and harder to see).
Thanks
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

This is one of the reasons that many of these weapons are seperate missile units. Aircraft that are not indirect attacking (such as bombers) are required to move down to close air (~10k ft) when making their attacks but they can launch missile units such AGM-130/142/154 or tomahawks without changing their flight level. When they are moving to direct attacks, this assumes they are using guns and more conventional bombs that require a closer attack such as Mavericks.
chandrill
Corporal

Post by chandrill »

I was thinking of GBU-10/12/16/24(LGBs) and GBU-29/30/31/32(JDAMs), but if these are taken into account by missiles that sounds great.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Ill need to get back to you on those ones. Currenlty they are not missile units but I need to check some of their stats to see if they will be accurately modeled. FYI, their launch ceiling is 30,000ft for the standard, 45,000ft for the JDAM.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”