Correct use of Artillery?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Journier
Captain

Correct use of Artillery?

Post by Journier »

ok im in the world scenario right now, and for the most part im ignoring artillery.

i have completed the tech tree, and have plenty of money flowing around.

What i want to know is, Do some artillery pieces fire faster than others? If so which ones?

Which ones would you say are best for "offensive" use?

Right now im using M270's? they are MLRS's and they have great long range (ang high attack supposedly), but it seems they take forever to fire. they shoot once and then seem to reload for the next 2 hours?

do the old howitzers etc have a faster firing rate? Id like something to really pound the enemy with and completely destroy there defending armies quickly with.

edit #1, i am using a stack of 6 m270's along with 3 heavy support trucks.
Seydlitz
Major

Post by Seydlitz »

I use anywhere from 4-12 stacks of towed howitzers in a line, with supply trucks behind them and mech infantry in front. I basically wipe everything out within the firing range, then move the whole setup forward a hex, and repeat until I've knocked everything I want out. I don't use MLRS units because they chew up a far larger amount of military goods, and major offensives usually exceed my capacity.

I don't know about firing rate differences, but since MLRS units use more supplies, you may be having supply problems. If that is the case, they have to wait for more supplies before reloading. Make sure the trucks have supplies still and consider adding more trucks.
Journier
Captain

Post by Journier »

yes you are correct the MLRS's chew through supplies very easily... even while just traveling they seem to run out of supplies.

and when i say traveling, i mean traveling in territory with like 65% supply... they just run out of supplies and have to wait to move again.

Any opinions on the faster arty's? the long range later tech ones? that arent MLRS :)

The howitzer is probably the best bang for the buck im sure. I think ill try them out in this world game and see what i like :)
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

well u could try the airborne howitzers. Loaded them and drop them. Combined them with a airborne leg infantry and u could set up firebases anywhere. Course u have to airstrike everything around the area first. Airstrips and cities work nice in this set up.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
Draken
General
Human: Yes

Post by Draken »

I use anywhere from 4-12 stacks of towed howitzers in a line, with supply trucks behind them and mech infantry in front. I basically wipe everything out within the firing range, then move the whole setup forward a hex, and repeat until I've knocked everything I want out. I don't use MLRS units because they chew up a far larger amount of military goods, and major offensives usually exceed my capacity.
Meat grinder tactics works very well against the AI :)
margab
Captain

Post by margab »

Draken wrote:
Meat grinder tactics works very well against the AI :)
Of course there is always the "teasing" part using a light inf. :)
"Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?"-Juvenal
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

use a high tech infantry and U think wars are too easy. And they are when they are back with arty and air power.
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Re: Correct use of Artillery?

Post by Eric Larsen »

Journier wrote:edit #1, i am using a stack of 6 m270's along with 3 heavy support trucks.
Journier,
If you've got 9 units stacked in a hex with a seven unit stacking limit then part of your slow resupply problem is overstacking. Better to shave down that pile to 7 units so they operate more efficiently. Better hope you don't get caught with counterbattery fire.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Journier
Captain

Post by Journier »

what i use artillery mainly for is for holding recently won land by fortifying.. err entrenching in cities so any "raids" around my main army to cut it off are hit with the arties and then stopped or slowed so i can run a unit up to kill the attackers off.

but yea ill try cutting down how many arties i put with my support troops.
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

I learned having arty on high grounds increase their range. Not sure how much but it does because I had arty the same distance once from a garrison in the low lands that weren't firing but the one's in the moutains were. Which makes sense because a 45 degree angle is the max range an arty piece can fire at. Meaning below 45 degrees the shells fall short above the degrees they still far short. So on a mountain u can add height to it which will increase the range that the shells will fall at even below or above 45 degrees.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

... high ground increases spotting, not attack ranges... ???
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

Are u sure about that. I seen something in Russia that might say differnet. Course if I'm wrong then high ground should help arty range. The basic math tells that. (45 degrees). But I'm positive I seen arty that was on high ground hit a target that the same arty in the plains below the same distance from the target not firing.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Do some research on it if you like, but I expect elevation won't increase range by more than a few hundred meters. Considering we already use "enhanced ranges" and most artillery is 30km or more before being enhanced, that just doesn't seem worth showing in game.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: Alright won't argue with a dev. they seem to win even if u do.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That's cause we can always reprogam it so we're right :P
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”