Do units have any defensive stats ?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

In this thread http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?topic=53&forum=2
you show an example of how a units attack value is decided.

Do the units also have a defensive values ?
I ask this becuase of things I see in naval combat and possibly air to ground combat that would make the combat system seem odd.

If for instance units did have defensive values and depending on the unit and the attack ,some of that value was used as a bonus towards the defensive value for other units in its stack,than the layered defense of naval units would still be possible to represent in a stack.
Also this would make anti-missile and anti-aircraft systems important to have in a stack, or at least close by.

On a similar note, how does anti air work ?
Say I have a stack with tanks and anti-air units.If an air attack is launched against the tanks will the anti air defend the tanks simply because its in the stack?Or would it only do so if ordered specially to attack that specific attacking air unit ?Would the anti air unit be able to destroy the air unit before it was able to attack the tank unit ?

Does an anti air unit have a large range ?
Both offensively and defensively ?

How about cruise missiles ?How will their use and defense against them be handled ?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Sorry for the delay in the response, we needed to discuss these issues to be sure we agreed on how to handle this.

As far as a unit adding to the defense value of units that share the hex, we will need to see how our current model stands up to some play testing. So far, it looks fairly solid.

If an F-16 attacks a stack with 2 T-80s and 1 ZSU-23, the attacker can chose to target the T-80s and the response of the ZSUs will depend on the orders and leader of the unit. Generally, it would return fire. So the F-16s may take out the T-80s, then the ZSUs take out the F-16s. Hope that clears it up somewhat...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

In the 5 star series released by SSI, units had many combat stats. I'll use the example of Panzer General 2.
Each unit had an attack and defense stat(among others) unique to that class. You might have a German Tiger that walks over American tanks, but has a tougher time punching through the monsterous armor of the larger Russian tanks.
It only makes sense that some targets will be harder to kill than others...
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the amount of stats we use, both "Offensive" and "Defensive" for each and every unit. It boggles my mind! :grin:
- David
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

I canna wait!

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”