Tanks the strongest weapon in game?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

It takes 8 years to build a M1A2!.In a "total war" situation like the germans had in WW2, it was impossible to build the required amount to replace the destroyed ones, because of the complex engineering.Is there "Jagdpanther" type units that can be built quicker and still have a similar hard attack effect.I just can't see regions being able to replace destroyed Challenger2 type tanks, quicker than there industry can build them,in a total war situation.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Well, obviously it is a case of how many factories/bases are building/training these units a time. Though in discussing it here, there is a good argument to making the more complex vehicles (M1, Leopard, Challenger, etc) take longer to build than they currently do. We will look into doing that (any comments?)

During wartime things will pick up the pace as well, and in gameplay we do find it very easy to lose tanks much faster than they can be built :smile: And the other argument against making tanks longer to build is that it could extend the length of a game considerably (mainly a concern in multi-player games, where you want to finish a game in a single sitting).
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Perhaps...but if the build time is increased this will also lead to players treating their units with more respect and not sending them into death.
Vesson
Warrant Officer

Post by Vesson »

Perhaps BG can concentrate on making things work for single player, and make it realistic first... Then if time remains then an option can be selected for multiplayer games reducing build time/research time. Can always be added after release too... I just thought it would be more important getting good strategy elements like this in place before making gameplay concessions for mp.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

I do agree that we should concentrate on the best single player design, this is where people will get the most opportunity to get involved with the 'full game' (versus just dealing with things needed for immediate victory over their MP opponents).

A comment that Chris made is that a longer tank build time will stretch out Single Player scenarios as well - and that some people have already had concerns that things sometimes 'move a bit slow' in the game. On the other hand, the larger scenarios are not really meant for a quick game regardless, and the longer tank build will make them a bit more interesting and varied. (And, as Juergen points out, it will make you take a bit more care of your tanks!)

If we do increase Tank build time, we will add a game startup option to reduce it back down for a 'quick' game.
chancellor
Sergeant

Post by chancellor »

uhoh.. would that extend to armored fighting vehicles too? I'm dreading 3 year production times for my mechanized infantry...

~Matt~
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Well, yesterday we started review all prices for land units and are about half done. Should be done prices later today and have the build times adjusted after the weekend. I'll post some total build times when we're done.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”