Psyop

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Shutzen
Warrant Officer

Post by Shutzen »

Having done a bit of experimenting and a lot of thinking about the game, I think I have a good idea for another unit for the game. Fortunately, it should be very easy to implement (I think) and will add loads of realism. Psychological Operations... Looking through the Loyalty filter, it is easy to see that winning the loyalty of the newly conquered is very important. I propose introducing a tactical Psyop unit (like the US Army employs). They work on all levels but can easily be represented in the game by a unit marker with a Humvee or other light vehicle. I think it should be built like any other unit and possess very little (or no) combat capability. However, when in enemy or recently captured territory, it will speed up the loyalty change in the area it is operating. That would be cool.

Another option, as US psyop units don't really deploy alone (they are attached to maneuver units), you can add an option to "attach psyop units" with a unit you build. This may even be easier... have an option to pay a little extra money when building a ground unit to simulate the attachment of a Psyop unit- and then slightly increase the loyalty growth rate in regions where that unit is operating.

If you like the idea and really want to make my Christmas special, you can include two other units- A psyop capable UH-60 and C-130. The US military does have a couple of C-130s designed for and specifically alloted for Psyop. They are basically flying broadcast stations used to broadcast radio and TV "products" to target audiences("products"...thats what we call it when we do it. It's called propaganda when anyone else does it- really). I see this being another unit that can be purchased- a c-130 that has no transport capability but can influence a wide range of territory in terms of loyalty shift. Their broadcast ranges are pretty long which allow for flying along the border and broadcasting into neighboring territory or by flying into enemy territory when hostilities break out. Their area of influence should be pretty wide.

As for the UH-60s, the US does not operate any blackhawks soley for pysop, but the tactical Psyop folks actually have big speakers that can be attached to the airframe for more mobile broadcasting (as compared to their normal foot/ vehicle movement). It would be cool, but not essential to add helicopters into the mix. However, I think that Pysop as either an independent unit or attachment to regular units would be both realistic and good for the game. FYI, the designation for the C-130 is "Commando Solo".

Oh, one more note... Psyop units can be found worldwide. China and Russia both have good assets as do many smaller countries. For example, N. Korea puts a lot of money and effort into Psyop too- I actually came across a leaflet in Korea that came down by balloon (I guess)- a quick translation revealed a description of the North's Utopian society complemented by a picture of an expensive watch... I wish I were kidding. I guess they thought the promise of a new watch would do win over any fence-sitters. ha ha.
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

Does that mean you want us to license Def Lepard music and blare it through your speakers during the game :grin:
Shutzen
Warrant Officer

Post by Shutzen »

I'd like to request Guns n'Roses' "Welcome to the Jungle" as it was the preferred tune during the "keep Manuel Noriega awake for 5 days" Panama music marathon back in 89'. (Hosted and DJ'd by the US 4th Psyop Group).
Although... I am rather fond of Def Lepard too... :smile:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

uck... is it just me or do these sound a lot like priests from AoE... I hated these stupid priests

Sorry, I'm not a supporter of that one. However, final decisions don't rest on me alone, so that's just my 2 cents.
Shutzen
Warrant Officer

Post by Shutzen »

Fair enough. Perhaps you can make something more "behind the scenes" that reflects the very important role of Psyop. Not sure how though... I'd have to say that my original idea was as flawessly accurate as it was ingenious. Just kidding. Just my take on how you might add a little more flavor and realism to the game. Even if the aircraft might seem a little much, I still think a vehicle based Psyop unit would be a nice compromise. Loyalty is an important factor in the game. It would be a shame if the player does not have the opportunity/ responsibility to try to improve the loyalty of people who they just invaded. Two important points about the idea before it goes the way of the Dodo... First, the change in the loyalty rate would be very small, but beneficial. And secondly, Psyop units don't operate at home. I'm not suggesting that your starving home population suddenly boosts your approval rating to 110% because you drove a pysop humvee through their town. The Psyop units only operate in enemy or newly captured territory. Their effect would be limited to simply speeding up the process of the loyalty shift to your side. The loyalty shift is there and is a thoughtful part of the game, why not speed it up ever so slightly to reflect real world tactics and the important role of Psyop on the battlefield? Do you need it? No, but you also don't need all the detail you put into the thousands of units you added to the game and all the realism surrounding supply. But, like those additions, it adds a lot of flavor to the game making it much more attractive overall. A little more realism will certainly not make it too cumbersome. In fact, it will be another example of how seriously you guys are about putting out a novel, realistic product.

The prosecution rests... :smile:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well, I may not like the idea that much, but I'm still open to the suggestion. I'll be sure it comes up for discussion when the loyalty model is next on the list. Keep at me on this and I'll keep you informed where we're at. I've not had a chance to discuss this with the others since I'm working from home through the holidays.
herr neumann
Captain

Post by herr neumann »

I am certainly not a propaganda expert but I wander how much influence does it have on foreign population anyway. I mean you don't probably find many South-Koreans who actually believe these utopian leaflets.

I tend to think that propaganda is much more effective in your own country and even then the loyality-change wouldn't take place overnight.

It seems that more totalitarian the state is, more it has to justify itself to its citizens (through propaganda). Compare US to USSR for example. So in this sense it would be logical that then you change to military government the investments in propaganda would have to be set higher.
I'm not sure if it is worth implementing though..

Sry - drifted a bit away from original Psyops question...
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

In "Ops" you currently have the option of funding "Insurgents", "Opposition", "Protestors" etc... (not that they're implemented yet :wink: ) I might just make add an option for also funding propaganda there.
St. Mark
Corporal

Post by St. Mark »

This may even be easier... have an option to pay a little extra money when building a ground unit to simulate the attachment of a Psyop unit- and then slightly increase the loyalty growth rate in regions where that unit is operating.
I like this idea as it incorporates the PSYOP/Civil Affairs aspect of warfare without the need to manage a whole new unit.
For example, N. Korea puts a lot of money and effort into Psyop too- I actually came across a leaflet in Korea that came down by balloon (I guess)...
Yep. They send them over by balloons. They carry these small plastic containers that have a door with a timer-release mechanism that is set to open when the balloon is in South Korea and then drops it's leaflets, usually baseball card-sized. Collect 'em all! :wink:
St. Mark
Corporal

Post by St. Mark »

On 2003-12-24 08:33, BattleGoat wrote:
In "Ops" you currently have the option of funding "Insurgents", "Opposition", "Protestors" etc... (not that they're implemented yet :wink: ) I might just make add an option for also funding propaganda there.
That would be cool! It would be another good way to have the player feel that he/she is utilizing PSYOPS/Civil Affairs into the mix.
Shutzen
Warrant Officer

Post by Shutzen »

Works for me.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”