electronic warfare

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

BG
Warrant Officer

electronic warfare

Post by BG »

You know i must say this is a nice game.However i feel like playing a fantasy game of ww2 with modern units,nukes and missiles.
Here is what i mean:There is not a single item which exclusively makes the difference of electronic warfare and C4I modern war and keep in mind that we are talking about a game starting in a year that hasnt reached as in reality so far which means that especially info war and electronic war should have an even bigger priority(even more when as is know have non).
So what i am asking is:any thoughts from the devs on how to apply anything that might resemble to what i mentioned above?I whould really be interested to know.
BTW the luck of high level HQ in the game makes the task difficult.I mean the electronic warfare has as a number 1 role to make the enemy blind/deaf and if there were combined HQ(army or army group-theater-level)that whould make the units fight with efficiency by using EW you whould see your future super expencive and nice looking units fight with 10% or less efficasy.Your planes whouldnt be able to support the ground forces for example and your missiles whould hit your men.
Even more by using them enemy SAM whould be as good as dead and thus your planes whould kill them with dump bombs more or less not to mention the propaganda hit agaisnt the enemy if their citisens whould open their tv sets to hear the news and instead see your troops explaining them how their army dies or surrenders(DAR going all the way down).
There are pleny of reasons why this aspect of warfare should be the number 1 key priority of succesfull strategy especially for future wars.The point is will you people put some incide?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Late in the design stages of the game we looked at some basic ideas for electronic warfare units, and in fact some of the units still show that flag even though it gives them no special abilites currently. It did not however get completed in time.

Currenlty it is not something we are working on but it might be added at some point. I believe it has already been discussed in other threads, you may want to look through the wishlist topics to see what is there since this is a wishlist item.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
geminif4ucorsair
General

Adding ECM / ESM features

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Balthagor wrote:Late in the design stages of the game we looked at some basic ideas for electronic warfare units, and in fact some of the units still show that flag even though it gives them no special abilites currently. It did not however get completed in time.
As Bathagor knows, I've been looking at this also and feel there is a future need to incorporate a ECM/ESM segment into the game sequence; that being said....
there are less exhaustive initial ways to represent the ECM/ESM issue.

That would include a general lowering of weapons (gun & msl) effectiveness, if one is dealing with a ECM equipped platforms (ship, vehicle or aircraft)....

For esample, all modern subs (since 'mid-60s' have ECM fitments and even most older Romeo/Gato Guppy/Tang/etc have been backfitted with combination ECM and ESM systems, though they are not as effective as a more modern Los Angleles (I-688) or other modern diesel or SSN designs.

The same applies to ships and aircraft; backfitments and updates are pretty common and while not specifically included in the game mechanics or Cost considerations to Upgrade - one can approach the issue from the same common perspective: lower all weapon effectiveness.

While I would prefer a incremental effectiveness talbe for the AI to run during engagements - say a Russian P-15 (SS-N-2C) Styx anti-ship missile shoot against a Arleigh Burke (DDG-51) would not be particularly effective (maybe 10-15% pk) unless it was in IR-mode (passive) and the destroyer was otherwise occupied or overwhelmed by other targets. The SLQ-32(V.5) should automatically attempt to jam any Active radar but might miss the IR.

Similarily, a Shtorm (SA-N-3) SAM onboard a Russian missile cruiser would be more effective against a A-4B/Q Skyhawk w/out ECM than it would be against a A-4M Skyhawk II or Singapore's(Malaysian) A-4S Super Skyhawk.....

therefore, the easiest way for SR2010 guys to handle is to lower Shtorm missile effectiveness against various generational aircraft...without trying to program in effectiveness against every aircraft platform in the system.

Hope this makes some sense...but it would be nice to incorporate at least this level of ECM and passive ESM sensors into Update4.0 - thanks for considering.
Last edited by geminif4ucorsair on Oct 06 2005, edited 3 times in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I must admit, 99% of this goes way over my head. Nontheless, we will look at all aspects and give each one due consideration.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”