Submarine technologies

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Currently, the only thing stopping a player from building submarines is whether or not they have one researched. There are no prerequisite technologies for submarines. I think their should be and would like opinions on what they should be. We don't want too many as that just over complicates the matter but a few would be a good idea I believe.

Obviously, nuclear submarines should have a “Naval nuclear reactor” requirement that would be shared by nuclear boats. How about ballast tanks?

I’ve also started reading through some data @ http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/cno/n87/future.html that seems very interesting.

Any ideas?
Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

Considering the maps are mainly regional what's the point or motivation of building a navy when it takes resources away from building land & air units, its not like you can block the Suez Canal is it when playing wales,etc?.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ashbery76 on 2003-12-18 15:10 ]</font>
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This is true, but there are some scenarios that have large amounts of water and you could cover the Suez from Wales in a campaign, you just need to make it to the world map. In the France map, putting a sub in the straight of Gibraltar for example.

Remember that what you build will carry forward and in a battle for Australia, subs can be useful to protect fleets. Heck, field an Ohio class sub from Washington and you could fire Tridents to nuke Kansas! Anything is possible...sorry to anyone living in Kansas :wink:
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Well, I don't think that just any shipyard can build subs. Maybe create a "Submarine Constuction Yard" facility or something similar, and then make it very expensive to build both the facility and the submarines. Only a handful of countries in the world right now can afford to build submarines, and most countries that have subs have purchased them secondhand.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That is unfortunately not possible at this stage of the development. So instead, we will have a “submarine construction” technology that represents the cost and time to make any shipyard able to work on submarines. It will be a prerequisite for any subs. That will have to do I’m afraid.

We had made note of this idea a little earlier but it just didn't get in. Perhaps for the next game...
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

"Well, I don't think that just any shipyard can build subs" - that's an interesting comment. As Chris mentioned, currently our Shipyards can be asked to build either surface ships or subs.

Not being in the shipyard business, I'm not sure how unrealistic this is - is it not possible to build subs at a refitted or upgraded shipyard? In the real world are subs not built at shipyards that also build surface ships?

Going back to WWII for instance, were subs and ships built at the same facilities, or different facilities?

-- George.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”