Minimum ICBM Distance

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

We need to put a rule in place with regard to how far away your target has to be to launch an ICBM at it. For instance, could New Mexico launch ICBMs at Texas? Can the guidance requirements of an ICBM support that?
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

I think I can help you out.

I have been looking for some estimates for ICBM minimum ranges but I suspect that these values are not as interesting a the top range.
At least I couldnt find minimum range information on the sites Im usually looking at.
So I had to turn google on...

And after some searching I found a site with some information:

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/wmd/ballistic/

From this site I obtained these values:

SS-27 Topol
Min:2000km
Max:10500km

DF31
Min:2000
Max:8000

Df41
Min:3000
Max:12000

CSS-4
Min:3500
Max:12000

Taep o-dong 1
Min:500
Max:2000

Minuteman 3
Min:3000
Max:13000

Well these are the minimum range estimates for the missiles I could find right now.
Of course I think that each missiles has its own certain min range value BUT...I figured out that if you divide the Min range through the max range you usually get a value around:

So this means that the missile can fire as short as a quarter of its maximum range.

And considering that the missiles are quite representative (Chinese,Russian,American and even North Korean missiles) I would say that you would be doing most missiles justice.

Well,I hope this will be helpfull :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Juergen on 2003-11-13 14:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Juergen on 2003-11-13 16:51 ]</font>
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

THANKS! That should help quite a bit.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”