Military units

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Does the same apply to the naval spreadsheet?
Here you are giving away the secret that there is a second spreadsheet floating around out there. :wink: The Russian spreadsheet is missing a lot of data such as the attack and defence values, the specialties and unit pic# that are in the full spreadsheet (and the cut I gave you). I didn't want to make the spreadsheet too overwhelming so I removed those columns. If you look at the naval cutout I gave you, you will notice that there are a lot of blank entries. I had not really looked at the subs yet. In fact, those ones are only in because we wanted to see what the subs would look like on the map. I think I set their number of weeks to build to "1" which is clearly just so we can get a sub on the map in 7 days instead of waiting the months it will take in the finished game (how long it takes to build a sub is still something we are unsure of.) The total spreadsheet is immense. I usually tackle it once every few weeks and go at it for a day or two. I did add some more subs this week but only added the titles. For every sub I first need to see if it belongs in the spreadsheet. Will the unit likely still be in service in 2010? Is it a notable threat? There are some units that countries should have as beginning inventory that we will substitute with a similar model. This is rare but may happen.

So basically, you are right, they are missing. Please add the name, region and any other data you know off the top of your head that should be in there. I have even been keeping a second list on the side of units that would be out of service by 2010 but might be interesting. I figure that once the game is done, I can work on the second list…

For everyone else who is jealous that Jurgen got 2 spreadsheets, once he sends me back some of the data he has, I have intention to post the Naval spreadsheet for everyone to see. Probably ~mid Sept. even if Jurgen is still working on his part. I will still cut out some of the extra data to try and keep it from being too daunting. If anyone wants the sheet with the full columns or can’t wait till September, you’ll have to e-mail me directly.

And back to Jurgen, thanks for the data you sent so far, I’ve put the first bit you sent into the spreadsheet already.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

I will see what I can do :wink:

But Id like to ask some questions first:

What kind of units are you interested in?(subs,planes,missles)

How to send the data back to you?

What kind of information do you need about the units?

Do you need to know where I got the data from?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Q: What kind of units are you interested in?(subs,planes,missles)
A: yes… Missiles aren’t really units though. There are still some questions how larger missiles (like ICBMs) are being handled. For now, since I’ve sent you the naval spreadsheet, think Subs, Carriers, Battleships, Destroyers, Cruisers, Frigates, Patrol boats and Transport.

Q: How to send the data back to you?
A: You have my e-mail; just send it as a zipped attachment. I probably forgot to set “Track Changes” under “tools” so if you do that you can even change any of my data and I can see exactly what you changed.

Q: What kind of information do you need about the units?
A: We would like to have every field in each column filled. However, if we are missing the “Armor Thickness” or “Gun size” of a unit, these are points of interest, not stats used to determine combat. Key stats are always Year, Cost, Crew, Region, Weeks to build, Speed, Move per Day, Fuel type, Weight, Move Method and Target type. And there are times where we may change some of these like weeks to build or Move per day to balance the strength of a unit.

Q: Do you need to know where I got the data from?
A: No, but remember that we do some color coding in the spreadsheet. If you find a value that you don’t trust but we don’t have anything in the spreadsheet, just make the field fill yellow. We use yellow for data that we need to confirm and orange for data that seems correct or where we have made an arbitrary decision. Some of the stats will end up being that way. Especially future projects where there isn’t any real data yet.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Alex, the Russian
Corporal

Post by Alex, the Russian »

Alex, the Russian
Corporal

Post by Alex, the Russian »

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks!! :smile:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Have my unit files arrived safely?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

yup
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I need help on an issue. What strength should Anti-Tank battalions have? Meaning roughly how many vehicules in the battalion. I need this for all regions, so if you know how many the Germans, French, US, Russians or anyone uses, please let me know.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

There isn't really anything like an anti-tank battalion in the US anymore. Or any other army that I can think of. The US Army got rid of theirs around 1985 - and even then there were only two and they belonged to the National Guard, not the regular army.

Most armies still have anti-tank units, but not battalion sized. The Russians put an AT battery (9 AT vehicles) with their regiments and the US has 16 HMMWVs with TOWs in each air assault battalion (4 HMMWVs with light battalions), but nothing that is a battalion in size.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

So, based on this, we could probably have small anit-tank battalions (such as 12 units per) so that players could easily attach these as part of a larger regiment to increase the regiments AT capabilities...

how's that sound?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Yes, I think that would work best.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”