Bradleys too expensive!

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Bradley Infantry look a good deal too expensive compared to other infantry and tanks! I think it works out at $210m for a btn of Bradley A4 infantry; but only $32m for a btn of Warrior 2000 (very similar units); only $268m for btn of M1 A5s.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Actually, I just looked at the list, and I think it’s the Warrior that is too cheap. I found a reference for the Bradley’s average cost that supports the $3.2M per unit.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m2.htm

Based on the fact that a battalion of M2s has a strength of 54, yes, it comes out to $210M. I had in the spreadsheet that the warrior was only $500,000 per unit and it looks like I trusted the source at the time, but clearly there is an imbalance here. However, the M2 does seem to be one of the more expensive IFVs around. We have not started reviewing the equipment file for consistency, I’m still adding over a dozen units per week. There are just so many units available in the world between land, air, sea, sub, UAVs and missiles that it’s an enormous job! The review is something that will be ongoing well into the beta, and many of the combat values will likely be changed by feedback from the beta.

As for the price of the M1A3 (I’m using the M1A3 because it is the same tech level as the M2A4) it is set as $5.4M but a battalion is only strength 44 so it close in price. Again, the relations of the prices are going to under review for a while still.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Excellent. Perhaps I'll now sleep well at night, assured that any striking imbalance in favour of the tank will be picked up in beta tests and changed. :grin:

You did mention adding lots of new units. So I was wondering if flamethrower batalions might make it into the game. As the Russians recently re-learnt how useful they are when fighting in cities (in Grozny apparently tanks were useless- ok I leave this issue now). But the west might follow suit if they started have mass casualties in future urban warfare.

see http//fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/fmsopubs/issues/grozny.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dust off on 2003-10-22 09:13 ]</font>
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I really don't see these being used at a battalion level. Perhaps to enhance infantry companies, but I don't know how much that would affect the combat values. It certainly would do little for the hard attack values.

BTW, can't seem to get your link to work.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”