Longer travel distance for planes...

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Lord Khazad
Sergeant

Longer travel distance for planes...

Post by Lord Khazad »

It might be a bug or just me playing bad, but i seem to remember that my planes, at least not my bombers, can't fly very long.

i remember trying to invade a country, having all my bombers lined up ready, and all of them turned around halfway to their goal, because they had no more flight time left.

When you think about WW2 when British planes flew as long as south Germany, and American planes flying all over the pacific and into Hiroshima to drop the a-bomb, i would think that planes would be able to fly a little longer.

again, this might just be me missing something, but i don't think so...
Glory Glory Man Utd
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

Your planes will turn around because of fuel problems, not because of hours.

Even in today's world, B-2s and stuff need to be refueled as they travel. The B-2s didn't fly straight to Afghanistan and back to Missouri without getting fueled on the way.

Also, in WW2 they had to island hop. We didn't start bombing japan(other than a few carrier strikes) until we captured iwo jima, Wake, midway, and all the islands leading up to them.

The range is listed in the unit tab. And the distances in game, and the unit ranges are pretty accurate.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Lord Khazad

You might like to build an airstrip close to the place you wish to attack. Your bombers can then fly there, refuel and attack the desired target...
Lord Khazad
Sergeant

Post by Lord Khazad »

Thank you for the tip, but that is kinda hard when you plan on flying across the entire atlantic... there aint to airstrips in the sea :wink:

and thx for the correction, i thought there might be something like that, but i wasn't sure.
Glory Glory Man Utd
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

Best bet would be to set up some tankers to fuel your planes in the mid atlantic. That is how it is done in RL.
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

or u could just nuke everything that way the bombers can stay where they are.

Bergsjaeger= mountain hunter
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

lol, you and your nukes.

I haven't done too much testing with nukes, have you made an enemy surrender to you after so much nuking? Their DAR and MAR should go down after getting hit with a nuke I would think.
Lord Khazad
Sergeant

Post by Lord Khazad »

Decimatus wrote:Best bet would be to set up some tankers to fuel your planes in the mid atlantic. That is how it is done in RL.
tanker? like aircraft carriers?
Glory Glory Man Utd
Xetal
Lieutenant

Post by Xetal »

He means using mid-air fueling tankers... some of them have a rediculously long-range, and they can fly with your planes over the atlantic (or pacific) and provide fuel as they go. This lets your aircraft travel much further than possible, and should be able to get them across the ocean for you.

The two draw-backs are that not all planes are mid-air fuel equipped, and that you have to make sure to do the math first to make sure you'll make it :p

Another thing you could do is to make a few cheap aircraft carriers and use them as transports to move your aircraft across the ocean... however the downside with this is that not all aircraft are equipped for carrier landing/takeoff.

Between the two hopefully you can figure something out for your current aircraft.
Fantnet
Major

Post by Fantnet »

Get some transit rights with regions that are on the way. so you planes can land and refuel. Also you may need to buy some hexes so that you can build strips in their region.

I have rights with Africa, South America and Euorpe, Oceania are my Allies. I have these setup for future actions against the middle east and Asia.
boon_9702
Sergeant

Post by boon_9702 »

Xetal wrote:He means using mid-air fueling tankers... some of them have a rediculously long-range, and they can fly with your planes over the atlantic (or pacific) and provide fuel as they go. This lets your aircraft travel much further than possible, and should be able to get them across the ocean for you.

The two draw-backs are that not all planes are mid-air fuel equipped, and that you have to make sure to do the math first to make sure you'll make it :p

Another thing you could do is to make a few cheap aircraft carriers and use them as transports to move your aircraft across the ocean... however the downside with this is that not all aircraft are equipped for carrier landing/takeoff.

Between the two hopefully you can figure something out for your current aircraft.

how can do mid air refuel? Do I need to instruct the tanker?

thanks
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

fly the plane to the tanker, it will refuel. When the tanker is airborne, aircraft that need fuel will go there on thier own.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
yakaspat
Captain

Post by yakaspat »

So you could set the tanker plane up on a patrol route behind your front line, and your warplanes will automatically return to the tanker in mid-air? Neato. Now if only they had mid-air re-ARMING... :wink:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

yes, but be careful! Mid Air Refueling is a messy buisness. If your Interceptor goes looking for fuel while your tanker is gone home to restock, expect your planes to make a nice hole in the ground...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”