Future Unit - European Bomber

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Well, I got this wonderful question in another thread about what forces Germany, France and Italy would use and whether we had added a fictional bomber for European regions. A big thanks to Juergen for such a well thought of question! :razz:

Yes, I did get around to adding in a fictional Bomber. I named it the GB-16 Squall. British, tech 104 (European countries often begin between 102-105).

Speed: 1450km/h
Flight Radius: 10,000km

I've made it similar to the B-1B, just more modern. It will be able to carry a nice loadout of missiles (cruise/Stand off/ Land attack) and has a slightly lower profile then the average jet but not as good as "stealth" units.

As for Germany, France and Italy, only the France map is done (includes Spain). I've been using a site called Periscope to fill in most of this data. They give a very complete listing of all units used by any country in the world, where available. The North Korea listing is a little vague for example :smile:. It also mentions projects that are in the works and I try and extrapolate from there. I've given France a number of Grippen's as active units. I also put their newer VAB/NG, Caesar 155mm and Vextra units into service. Some of the older stuff gets retired but the classics are still there; Leclercs, AMX-10s and Panhard series vehicles. I'm still working on the navy, some of the ships don't have complete entries yet, and the same for some of the missiles. The France player will start with a good inventory of Exocets but there is still some uncertainty if we will give them any ASMPs or not. There's been some discussion of removing nuclear weapons from existing inventories, but that wouldn't stop the France player from just building them again. Players like these who begin with nuclear technology would likely be able to use tactical nukes within a week and strategic in a couple months.

Germany has only just been started so no units are in yet, but they will have a very interesting air force; a mix of Mig-29s and Eurofighters. And of course, plenty of Leopard tanks.

Italy has turned out to be a strange map. When I did the map it had 3 players for Italy and 8 Balkans players. However, we've found that might not be the best setup. We'll be using to make to more maps, one with just Italy, and another with just the Balkans. It will take very little work so all of these should make release no problem but it was in the units that I first noticed the difference. Italy has a reasonable army; Ariete and Leopard tanks, VCC IFVs, Pumas, Centauro/Pegasos and an airforce of Eurofighters, Tornados and AMXs. Once I looked at the armies of the Balkans regions, I realized any one of the 3 Italy players could crush the entire Balkans with about half their forces! I can't believe these countries are fighting wars with this stuff! Anyway, that's the long explanation of what was given to the Italy players.

So far, of these regions, only the "Marseille' player in France has a Silo and therefore the ability to launch ICBMs (we'll talk about SSBNs another time... saw ya coming Juergen! :wink: ) Is this an oversight? Have I missed some Italian Missile silos? Germany hasn't been finished yet, but if someone knows where they have silos... what the heck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Balthagor on 2003-10-06 20:57 ]</font>
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

This is a tricky area because some European countries have targetted areas of their military to fit in with NATO roles, which many are now changing. The UK's navy for example directed much resources into its NATO anti submarine warfare roll. But is now redirecting funding to larger nuclear powered aricraft cariers for its percieved new role of supporting interventions.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

On 2003-10-06 20:56, Balthagor wrote:
There's been some discussion of removing nuclear weapons from existing inventories

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Balthagor on 2003-10-06 20:57 ]</font>
Why?
I dont think that it is realistic that all nuclear weapons will be scraped.
Even if the year is 2010.
Some perhaps but most certainly not all.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

This is something we're considering doing for game play value. I don't think I want players able to launch nuclear attacks on the first day. The long part about "going nuclear" is getting all the required technologies and this would be done.

I just have this vision of multiplayer lobbies named "nuclear warfare" where, after launching the game, all players launch nukes at the start when the game is paused before time has even started rolling. Sounds as unpleasent as a Zerg rush... :sad:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

But this game isnt "Starcraft",right?

But at any rate I think that this topic deserves its own thread.

Back to the topic of this thread.

Yes the bomber sound pretty nice and realistic.
It is exactly what I would expect :smile:
Cal_Blutch
Corporal

Post by Cal_Blutch »

Just an answer about French and use of nuclear weapons :)
Since few years the doctrine of use of these weapons by silos,aircraft or submarines has changed a little as French decided to stop all the silos remaining and got only few squadron and submarines to use nuclear weapons....
red
General

Post by red »

I like the GB-16. It seems to do as well as the American strategic bombers.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”