Special forces & JSTARS

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

India 51A
Captain

Post by India 51A »

Excellent stuff! Of course I would be able to see this for myself were I on the Opn Beta Team :wink:
"It is well that war is so terrible.
We should grow too fond of it."

Robert E. Lee
Battle of Fredericksburg,
13 December 1862
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

My one quarrel with that would be perhaps too much micromanaging depending how many spec ops your doing though I suppose AI initiative could take care of it to a degree but i suppose ill run more tests before giving a final decision, personally i havent made a decision on how well they are portrayed in the game besides what ive said above.
Draken
General
Human: Yes

Post by Draken »

Sorry for resurrect yet again this thread but it seem to be the right place for my question:

It is clear that SF in an enemy hex may not be detected but lets say that in that hex there is
a bridge and the SF blows it up. Will the attacked country knows the attacker's identity ?
red
General

Post by red »

Units may not be detected because of their high stealth. But a unit is still a unit, and if you blow up a bridge, that's war and they will run down your little SF men.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Remember, the rules say that stealth is halved when firing and halved when moving. If they are the bridge they will be firing and moving off it (one would hope, before it colapses) so they would have a much lower stealth strength. This rule is intended to let the units lie in wait, not run amok unchecked...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Balthagor wrote:That's the way it is now for spotting but they do exist as a unit. Many times that I found myself in trouble I used my helos to move all my special forces to my front line to hold long enough to get other forces there. They don't usually manage to do much but it does take the other player a while to get through them and can hold their own against other infantry units.

I know that Special Forces aren't deployed this way but I need a good reason why they could not be deployed this way if we're even going to consider changing this at such a late stage in the development. As I understand it, the only reason they aren’t deployed this way is doctrine. There are some actions done in the game that are behind the scenes like what your suggesting (assassination, infiltration) but we don’t really tell the player if this was done by special forces or by spies. The Special Forces we use are simply a battalion of 35 squadrons, 175 men (and women) that have good stealth, low supply usage, reasonably good attack/defense values and can fit into a helicopter. Why should we remove this unit from the game? Maybe “Special Forces” isn’t the right name for them, but it gets the idea across.

With how much they cost and how long they take to train, I don’t think people are going to be using stacks of them moving around the map or in front lines except in last ditch situations like I described above.
also i read somewhere that in desert shield that spec ops were set up as desert roadblocks to slow down country orange (iraq) when the coalition wasnt ready
Missiles!! Nukes!

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”