Tech tree - non military technologies

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Anyone have some Science/Medicine type technologies they would like to see added to the game? These would mostly be things that you would research to boost domestic approval but some may open other types of technologies to the player. For this thread, even things discovered as much as 20 years ago might get into the tech tree for players starting in places like Guatemala. Some technologies we all take for granted would need to be researched for some areas of the world.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

Uhm....Fuel Cells would be nice if we can upgrade later to them lets say for ships and such to keep them going longer and more efficiently? They're alreayd being tested and used infact for a science project a friend of mine made a working fuel cell! (Small but still 2010 and such we should have them no?)

Medicine Wise- Gene Therapy/Stem Cell Type stuff might be nice - Maybe these tpyes of things could help boost immunity or quicken responses to Bio Attacks or Chemical Attacks.

Definitely new energy source research would be a + as long as they lessen pollution i know i heard last night on the news smeone developed a cheap way (finally) of converting materials into oil/gas things such as tires old computers etc, small quantities and still a bit costly but none the less it was being done in the future it may be a way to help rid ourselves of waste or cut back on it- and lessen our dependence IRL on middle east oil heh.
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

It just so happens that I have a book right here called "The Catalog of Tomorrow" which came out in September of 2002. It's got a whole bunch of technologies that are being developed now, or that are theoretically possible. I won't comment on most of them, as I really don't know if you're looking for anything like these, so I'm only throwing them out as ideas. If you want, we can flesh any of them out into game terms. I think we're all smart enough to make most of these things plausible. :smile:

---------
Bioscience (my minor in college, I can expound on any of these if you want)

1. Genetric Screening
2. Gene therapy
3. Human/animal cloning
4. Biotech food

----------
Computers

1. Wireless (increase research, increase chance to sabotage)
2. Quantum/Biochemical computing
3. Artificial life (cellular robots, etc.)
4. Haptics (tensile information)

---------
Nanotechnology

1. Molecular manufacturing
2. Nanocomputing
3. Cellular robots (see above)
4. Electroactive polymers (machine muscle)

--------
Lifestyle

1. OneCards (bank/ID/driver's licence all in one, maybe make people happier but increases security)
2. Wearable computing
3. Smart Homes
4. Domestic robots
5. PeerToPeer Network News

----------
Healthcare

1. Fertility therapy
2. Relaxation medication
3. Cure for cancer
4. Telemedicine
5. Artificial organs
6. Cyborg/cybernetic implants
7. Life Extention

---------
Sociology

1. Digital democracy
2. Digital money
3. Public privacy

---------
Construction

1. New Building Materiel (healing plastic, self sealing compounds, etc.)
2. Augmented reality (construction workers see blueprints sumperimposed on their workspaces while 50 stories up)

---------
Transportation

1. Personal transports (see Segway, helicopter backpacks)
2. Skycars (Moller Merlin)
3. Smart Cars
4. High speed rail (maglev, etc.)
5. High speed air travel (sonic cruiser, orbital travel, etc.)
6. Tiltrotors
7. Floating cities (huge ships that stay in international waters with their own airfields and marinas)
8. Cargo submarines

----------
Warfare & Security

1. Land Warrior
2. Military robots
3. Automatic Face Recognition
4. Smart Prisons

---------
Ecology/Environment/Energy

1. Landfill energy
2. Paper batteries
3. Clean energy (geothermal, wind, fusion, tidal, etc.)
4. Fuel cells

---------
Other

1. Deep Sea Exploration/Exploitation/Militarization
2. Space Exploration/Exploitation/Militarization
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Nice list there hellfish.
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

Tk You forgot to give your own important one - Cloning for Red Haired Green Eyed Wenches!
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

SWEET Idea Emp !
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Good sales job there, Hellfish, Chris went out and bought the book :smile:

And sorry, no wenches of any hair colour seem to be part of the future techs listed...

-- George.
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Excellent. :cool:
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

You don't need to research "Red-haired, Green-eyed Serving Wenches" because every region should already have them :grin:
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

New 3d printer for electronics (CNN)
Want a PC this Xmas? Then print it

(CNN) -- Turning images on your PC into real-life computer chips with your home printer sounds like science fiction, yet the first prototype is already in operation.
Dubbed Santa Claus machines, these three dimensional printers "print" real objects instead of messages -- but never before have electronics been included in a product.
Soon fully assembled electric and electronic gadgets could be constructed in one go without having to add the components at great cost afterwards.

"I would think it would make a difference to product designers first -- people who normally build and test prototypes," John Canny of the University of Berkeley team who developed the 3D-printer told CNN.
The technology "prints" layer upon layer of conducting and semi-conducting polymers at the same time building up the gadget.

Therefore, the housing of the device can be filled with circuitry during the printing process -- in fact the object itself becomes the circuit and vice versa.
"Flexonics, could considerably shorten design cycles by building function as well as form into prototypes," he adds.
The integration of flexible materials with electronics has been dubbed "flexonics" and could do away with the conventional flat printed circuit board.

Revolutionize manufacture

Printers may not be the best term for this type of machine, which is only at the test stage. But these devices could be poised to eventually print light bulbs to microchips.
It could also revolutionize design and the manufacturer of complex embedded circuitry, as well as their distribution -- since goods could be produced anywhere with less hardware.
"Its most unique characteristic is that it enables a bio-morphic style of design, complexity is cheap, the style of machine made will look more organic than what we've become used to," says Canny.
Currently, there are no results to report of in terms of printed materials and finished devices, yet the research looks promising. "However, its reminiscent of desktop publishing, which was not all that easy to motivate pre-1980, adds Canny.
According to the Berkeley scientist, NASA are interested in its possibilities for long-term space missions.
Although they are currently not sponsoring the California-based program, NASA would like to be able to print spare parts in outer space instead of transporting a huge inventory on the shuttle.
Other uses include custom toys and the construction of artificial human limbs including sensors and moving parts. "It may be possible to build fairly complex movement and shape into devices -- but that's a long way off," Canny told CNN.
"But it also could mean that movement and sensing are almost free, so that a lot of mundane artifacts may "come alive," including furniture as well as window shades. And perhaps new kinds of room partition that create just the right barrier to sound, light and breeze," says Canny.

Primitive and new

Although still somewhat new and primitive, Santa Claus machines are already a big hit in engineering circles. They sculpt objects designed on the computer by piling layer upon layer of material such as starch, plastic or metal.
Commercially available devices developed by Massachusetts-based Z Corporation for instance disperse fine powder, then spray a liquid from an ink-jet print head to bind it before starting the next layer.

"We successfully installed our proprietary 3D printers in literally dozens of industries... including the footwear, consumer appliances, military defense and education markets," Marina Hatsopoulos, CEO of Z Corp. in a statement.

Yet no one, aside from the U.S.-based Berkeley crew, has yet to crack the printing of electronics. "I'll be happy if we can get a printed joint going... After that, we will try to make some very simple crawling critters," says Canny
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

wow, this is strange!...

If I include it in the tech tree, what would it lead to? What effects would it have? I suppose reduced cost of manufactured goods is one possibility. Would the population care much about it? Is this really something that a government would fund?

I'm mostly fishing for comments and ideas here, and trying to give everyone an idea of the criterea we put on items we add to the tech tree. If anyone else has fun and interesting articles, please post them, but I'd also like to know if the person posting the article thinks it should be taken as is or used for ideas.

So Hellfish, where you hoping to have your population printing lightbulbs? :razz:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Everyone needs lightbulbs, don't they? :smile:

For in-game effects, lowered manufacturing time would work. I don't think that this thing can build a tank yet, but it can build smaller things like computers or whatever else the article states.

I don't quite know how manufacturing works in the game, so I can't give exact details about how this technology affects the game.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

If we went with that technology, we'd likely assume it was used to make manufacturing components such as microchips, printed circuit boards and perhaps dies and castings. Stuff that makes it easier to do the manufacturing of finished goods.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Oh, I am SOOOOO going with this tech for future methods of transport. I'll have to put in a paratrooper unit that uses this once landed to make them a semi-mobile infantry. I just think this is too cool :smile:

Gold Award
Annual Design Awards - 2003
Industrial Design Society of America & Business Week Magazine

The Bombardier EMBRIO Advanced Concept is a one-wheeled recreational and commuting vehicle that promises a whole new experience on the road. Aimed at the 18 to 45 age group, this advanced concept prefigures the kind of user-friendly, minimalist vehicles we might be seeing - and using - on our urban, suburban and country roads in the year 2025.

The Design
This project was conceived as an exercise in forward thinking: what will the future of recreational transportation be like? Bombardier Recreational Products designers were asked to come up with a prospective concept for a recreational vehicle that would meet the needs of people in the year 2025.

The Bombardier EMBRIO concept is one of several concepts that were proposed by different internal design teams of Bombardier Recreational Products which had to respect the design philosophy "to create highly innovative, functional and exciting products to exceed people's recreational needs", and answer the following challenge: what would be the "next thing" in recreational vehicles?

The resulting concept is a minimalist, pure and simplified design that uses clean lines and on which the human print is obvious, yet fully blended in the overall styling theme. Both beautiful and functional, the Bombardier EMBRIO is exciting to look at, and should be even more exciting to ride.

Technology
The EMBRIO concept is a recreational and commuting vehicle that uses gyroscopic and electronic technology. It is a means of transportation, as well as a way of enjoying transportation as a positive activity. The main power source is a hydrogen fuel cell. In stand-by configuration, the vehicle's front wheels deploy to the ground like a jet plane landing gear to increase longitudinal stability. Thus stabilized, the Bombardier EMBRIO looks perfectly at home in the urban landscape, displaying the beauty of its sculptural lines until it's time to go for a ride.

A Rider-Friendly Vehicle
Riding the Bombardier EMBRIO concept in the real world would be a thrill. With a riding position similar to a motorcycle, the EMBRIO uses a complex series of sensors and gyroscopes to balance one or more human passengers on a single wheel. Technology will be used to harness the laws of physics, with the gyroscopes and sensors, a high-performance braking system, active suspension, night vision and robotic assistance. A digitally encoded learning key will start the engine. To move forward, the rider activates a trigger on the left handlebar. The landing gear retracts when the speed reaches 20 km/h. To turn, the rider leans in the desired direction. The brake is activated by a trigger on the right handlebar. When the speed drops to 20 km/h again, the landing gear redeploys automatically. Even without the landing gear, the EMBRIO would be stable when motionless because of the gyroscope.

An Ecologically Responsible Approach
The use of fuel cell technology and recycling of aluminum and polyethylene makes the Bombardier EMBRIO an eco-friendly design throughout its life cycle.

Materials and Processes
Polypropylene, Santoprene, nylon (injection moulding), aluminum (stamping, die casting and robotic assembly), magnesium (casting).

Dimensions and weight
48.75" x 27.5" x 47.5" 360 lb
124 cm x 70 cm x 120 cm 164 kg

Bombardier Recreational Products designs, develops, builds, distributes and markets utility vehicles, Rotax® engines and karts, Ski Doo® and Lynx® snowmobiles, BombardierTM ATVs, Sea Doo® watercraft and sport boats, Johnson® and Evinrude® outboard engines, as well as Evinrude direct injection and Evinrude E TECTM technologies.

®,TM Trademarks of Bombardier Inc. or its subsidiaries.

For information:
Geneviève Dion
Director, Communications and Public Relations
Bombardier Recreational Products
(450) 461-7706
genevieve.dion@recreation.bombardier.com
http://www.recreation.bombardier.com
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

I think Hellfish6 has covered the emerging technologies; but what is 'Land Warrior'Hellfish6?

Personally, for a game of this type I wouldn't go a bundle on too much very advanced technologies as the game might get a little sci-fi. (Not that there is anything wrong with sc-fi).

For realism sake the third would countries of today should have to play catch-up. Things like the internet require investment, and many third world countries would benifit economically if they attempted to have an impartial leagal system with property enshrined. Most African countries would get benifits from improved health care and education.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”