Light tanks?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

On 2003-07-30 06:31, Slash78 wrote:
How effective are light tanks and gun-based tank destroyers in the game? When I say light tanks I mean vehicles like the ASCOD Light tank, TAM/TH 301, M8 Ridgeway and gun-based tank destroyers as in the Rooikat, LAV-600, Centauro.
I can't really give a solid answer to this simply because I haven't overly tested this combinations or any that would give me a direct idea of their over all effectivness. I know that the ASCOD, TAM, and M8 are listed as tanks but take less time to build, weigh less and do not hit as hard as their large brothers. However, the don't get penilized for moving and attacking. The Rooikat, LAV-600 and Centauro are all in the AT category and therefore do have the penalty for moving and firing at the same time. I can tell you that these units where given a very good hard attack but not a very good soft attack, so the easiest way of slowing these down is to hit them with light infantry or another "soft" target unit. They just aren't very effective against these.

(psst!... Sorry for moving your post but it belonged here :wink: )
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Another thing I just thought of is to comment that this is the type of unit feedback we're counting on from Beta Testers. If the testers say that we've got it wrong, we'll re-balance. That part is easy! It's finding all the units and getting some baseline values that's been hard!
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

If you need someone to test this, I'll test this for you!!! :grin:
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

I meant to place this thread here.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I had a feeling you'd be anxious to help test that :wink: As we've mentioned before, when we do get down to beta testing our forum users will certainly have an edge for getting in...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

"How effective are light tanks and gun-based tank destroyers in the game? When I say light tanks I mean vehicles like the ASCOD Light tank, TAM/TH 301, M8 Ridgeway and gun-based tank destroyers as in the Rooikat, LAV-600, Centauro. "

As Chris indicated, we do make a particular distinction between light tanks and units that have a more defensive anti-tank role. The Anti-Tank types are deemed to be more effective as defensive units, and have a lower soft attack. They are designed to be poor "shoot while moving" types.

The Tank class do not suffer the shoot while moving penalties, and they tend to have a better soft attack (though this is not carved in stone for all tank units).

In testing so far, the AT class has proven very effective in defensive roles, and some of them (Rooikat is a good example) are good at covering open ground due to their good speed and range.

The less mobile units (as many of the light tanks tend to be) have not really proven their battle worth much, because they tend to get overpowered easily by heavy armour. There is not much in the way of light tanks that can slow the progress of a dozen well-supplied Leopard 2's...

-- George.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”