Unit Size, Numbers and Scope

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cauldyth
Lieutenant

Unit Size, Numbers and Scope

Post by Cauldyth »

After looking at some of the larger maps in the game, particularly the World Map, I'm concerned that I may not have the mental capacity to control that many units simultaneously. ;)

Which made me wonder...

What about a mod that would replace the current battalion-sized land units with something like brigade-sized units. Right now the unit sizes work fine for smaller maps, but on larger maps it looks quite daunting. Editing the unit file to increase the manpower, cost, production time, etc. of the units by a factor of about 4-5 might result in a more manageable game on the larger maps. I realize that a brigade may not be uniform in composition in real life, but it would still be a reasonable approximation. Naval and air units might be okay left as is, it could just be done to land units.

It would take a while to slog through all the units in the game, but otherwise it looks quite easy to do. Any opinions from those who've tackled the larger maps?

-Cauldyth
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

I have been conquering Africa all day long, and my brain now feel physically attached to my computer. :P

On the huge maps, I don't think you will want units that are too big.

Well, they would be good for certain things. Eventually they would lessen lag as the AI builds maxed out units, thereby decreasing the amount of units on the map. A unit that is practically the size of 5 units would be able to reach the target all at once rather than having them stream in 1 at a time. And it would be easier to manage, theoretically.

Problems. If it takes your airpower 5 times longer to kill a unit, that is 5 times longer that a unit will be shooting at your planes. On a continent such as africa, there are like 10,000 cities that need to be taken over, which means you need lots of units going in lots of different directions covering all the angles. When I landed around the area of liberia, I sent 2 armies, 1 to the north, and one to the south, with some scouts going out east. Before long the armies were dwindling as they sent units off in all different directions to conquer towns. My airpower handled most of the forces, while my land units were mainly claiming territory, and boy is there a lot of territory to claim on the world map.

For me, having 1/5 the amount of units it would have taken much longer to conquer africa, especially with my airpower taking more hits. It would be so much better if we had a way to make and break divisions in the game, rather than having to rig up some system to take its place.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

There is already a discussion about unit hierarchy.
http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t ... =hierarchy

Check it out there.

As mentioned there are no promises about adding this feature to the game.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”