Will there be fighting scene in between units?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

ngbs
Corporal

Post by ngbs »

I am a fan in hex based strategy war games.
Supreme Ruler 2010 seem familar with Japanese
developed "Daisenyaku" . I am very curious
whether there will be any graphic displaying
the fighting scene in between unit for example the A-10 firing hell missle toward soviet union T-80 .What will be animation
displaying between fighting units ?
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

An interesting question. One of the "weaknesses" of the game that we've recognised is that by leaning more toward accuracy and detailed gameplay, we've had to move away from "pretty" bits.

For instance, since our map is a "top down" view, we are restricted in the type of graphics we can use for terrain and units. The Satellite imagery we use is also not as attractive as an artist-drawn map would be, but at the scale we use (10 to 30 km per hex) it wouldn't be realistic to draw in pretty features by hand.

Unit firing is another element that is part of this. The sorts of firing animations you would see in an RTS such as Empire Earth or Rise of Nations (shot tracers, smoke, recoil, etc) don't work well at our scale; the units have to be smaller in size than in most RTS's to reflect the hex scale.

Another factor is our equipment list - since we allow so many different types of units from around the world, it would be technically and time-wise a major challenge to simulate the firing effects for each equipment entry.

We do have explosion effects for shot hits and destroyed units, and we have a 'firing disc' to indicate units that are participating in the battle.

You can see these 'in action' in some of our most recent screenshots, posted as part of an Interview at Game Chronicles:

http://www.gamechronicles.com/qa/sr2010/sr2010.htm

We are considering further shot effects (muzzle flash and shot tracers), but I'm really not sure if these are important enough to the game to make their development worthwhile.

-- George.

<Lead Programmer, BattleGoat Studios>
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Well,while we are talking about graphical effects I would like to know what I can expect from nuclear explosions :grin:
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Well,while we are talking about graphical effects I would like to know what I can expect from nuclear explosions :grin:
I was considering just forcing the computer to crash and reboot. EMP and all that :wink:

-- George.
ngbs
Corporal

Post by ngbs »

I feel that it is possible to create
a war scene between the 02 units.
Not appearing on the hex map itself
but during engagment a picture will appear
having 10 unit of T-80 on land against
attacking A-10 flying over with T-80 shooting
anti aircraft missile .You will see number
of tanks and aircraft destroyed in the animation.This will definitely add more fun to the strategy game by showing the gamer what is happening in the real battle scenario.
ngbs
Corporal

Post by ngbs »

Anybody here heard of Super Daisenyaku
developed by Systemsoft < japan >
turn based hex map strategy war game.
This is the screen shot
the latest development is version 07 that is appearing in X-box in japanese language only
title :grin:aisenyaku VII
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

Personally I don't think fighting scenes are that needed. The Steel Panthers series, Civ series and Panzer General series don't have them and the don't really need them.

Don't get me wrong, I still play Operation Europe on my SNES, but it really isn't a realistic representation to have whole battalions firing at once at a selected enemy unit. Speaking of OE, on of the features I liked about this game was you moving your Regements operationally, fighting as battalions at the tactial level. The actual combat could be maded better, something along the lines of PG III.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

In some ways it is too bad that we don't have fight scenes. Most of my units are rendered much larger than they actually appear in game. Although this has meant that some of the units didn't need to be as nicly finished due to their small size, it means that some of the units that are really nice may never be truly appreciated. :sad:

Guess I'll just have to find a place to hide some high res pics in the game :wink:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

Guess I'll just have to find a place to hide some high res pics in the game
You could always have a 'unit encyclopedia' or have the high res pics appear in above the name and stats of the unit on the side bar when you click on it.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

The encyclopedia would work, but it would take time to add it and I don't see us getting around to it. As for putting it on the side bar, that would just take up more screen realestate and we've been trying to decrease that. It's not really that big a deal, just a comment is all...
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

On 2003-07-26 17:29, Balthagor wrote:
The encyclopedia would work, but it would take time to add it and I don't see us getting around to it.
So that means "No" to the encyclopedia?
I dont mind since I dont see why you would need aditional information about units other than their stats and maybe their payload (missiles).
So unless there happens to be a lot of free time...

BTW
How to insert pictures into your post?
What do I need to do this?
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

We will provide as much documentation in the manual and on the CD as time will allow about the units and equipment, as well as the full equipment file for those interested in the nitty-gritty. Unfortunately an "in-game" encyclopedia will not really be possible, we have more interesting things to spend our time on.

-- George.

PS - regarding pictures in posts, check out the "BBcode" link that appears below each message entry box, that will give some info.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”