How much do countries really need modern weapons?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

One of my sources in he military sent me a link to an article I found very intersting that I thought would be of interest to most of our forum members...

http://slate.msn.com/id/2083605/

First thing it made me think was that the US military would be nuts to retire the A-10s!!!
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

I don't think the Air Force would be nuts to retire the A-10. I think they should develop one plane with the abilities of the A-10, A-6 Intruder, F-111 and F-117 NightHawk. In other words a steathy plane with a 30mm Gatling with a duel feed, for armor piercing and explosive rounds, large internal payload, 10,000 lbs of any combination of attack munitions (including 2 to 3 cruise missiles), ground following capabities, long range and also the ability to launch from carriers so the Navy/Marines could us it too. What do you think? Though it would take a while to develop, say 15 years, during that time the A-10 should be kept in service.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Slash78 on 2003-05-28 16:40 ]</font>
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Sounds good, but someone would need the kick the Air Force in the butt to do it. A-10s aren't sexy. F-22s are. That seems to be the prevailent thinking in the USAF.
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

Actually the F-22 isn't as good as it could have been. As for the USAF calling it the F/A-22, yeah right, who are they trying to fool.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”