Theoretical Equipment

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Based on current day equipment we assume certain advancements have been made by 2010. For example, we offer assume an M1A5 Abrams by 2010. We also "resurrect" the Isreali Lavi program and complete the Comanche Attack Helicopter for 2004. Are there any other projects likely to affect world force capabilities?
danc
Sergeant

Post by danc »

I think spec-ops will play a more prominent role in future conflicts. They are less expensive, and often provide 'deniability.'

A developer mentioned that terrorism may be taken out of the game because of 9-11. I think that would be a mistake. Terrorism is here to stay, and will only get worse over the next decade. I think there should be a hefty penalty for using it though - like using 'slavers' in CIV-Call to Power. Not only should your 'reputation' go down, but if you are on the 'terrorist watch list' you can be blamed for stuff you didn't do (guilt by association).

my 2 cents.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

How about that navy air to space fighter thats been rumored about for the last 4 or so years ?
A-19, I think was its test designation.
SR-71 blackbird was A-12, so 19 would be about right.

Oh and how about the SR-91 Aurora ?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I have not seen any information on this piece of equipment. Do you have more info? I would like to see if we should include it.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

The sr-91 ? or the a-19 or both ?

Being that neither plane is admitted to exist yet by the us ,tech and confirmed stats on either are impossible to get.

You can however find tons of "could-be" info on the SR-91,including budget requests.
Testers even has a model for it already.
This link is pretty good for a start on the SR-91
http://aurorapage.tripod.com/index.html

Ill see if i can dig up any A-19 links.
GAZ_NZ
Corporal

Post by GAZ_NZ »

What about the armoured exo skeletions currently in development as stage II-III of the landwarrior system for infantry.
ANy chnace of seeing them?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

janes has a non-subscriber article on this.I would love to read the full thing, but $1k is a bit steep for me as far as a subscription goes.

http://www.janes.com/defence/land_force ... _1_n.shtml
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

On 2002-06-13 01:36, GAZ_NZ wrote:
What about the armoured exo skeletions currently in development as stage II-III of the landwarrior system for infantry.
ANy chnace of seeing them?
This is possible as an infantry unit. It would represent a battalion of Special Forces equiped with Land-warrior gear and would offer combat bonuses. Obviously they would have a lower profile and better close defense. Do you think they should get any other bonuses? How should they compare to a "Nationl Guard" infantry battalion or a "LAV III piloted" infantry battalion?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

The US Army is developing the MAV program to replace the brand new LAV-IIIs with. It is a whole family of medium armored vehicles with stealthy characteristics, high-velocity weapons (LOSAT missiles, rail guns, etc.) and rapidly deployable. They're supposed to come on line around 2015-2020.
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Oh, what about the proposed "Alaska" class BCGN? It was to be a US Navy equivalent to the Soviet Kirov-class missile cruiser. Basically, to make an Alaska, you take an Aegis Cruiser (Ticonderoga-class), double it's size and armament and throw in a nuclear reactor.

Sounds like fun, eh?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I like it. What do you feel it should have for cruising speed, # crew and year available?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

On 2002-06-19 13:11, Balthagor wrote:
I like it. What do you feel it should have for cruising speed, # crew and year available?
Most ships of that size have a max speed of 32 knots, cruising speed of 10-20. Crew would be around 200-400. Year available.. hmm.. if we started work now, it could probably be in the fleet by 2008. Maybe 2012. The tech is there, but the need is not.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Done. BCGN-66 Alaska, crew 420, max spd 32knots, available 2012. Combat stats for ships haven't been entered yet but I will make sure it is ~ double the values of the Ticonderoga.

Anything else you would like to see?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Wow.. nobody has ever solicited me for anything like this before! That's dangerous.. hehe. Hmm... I assume the JSF is going to make it in the game, right? How about the new Virginia-class submarines? Chinese aircraft carriers? The new British aircraft carrier?

I'm looking at the military unit page, but I don't notice airmobile/air assault, paratroopers, special forces, light infantry (well, non-HMMWV light infantry) or the new Medium Infantry the US Army has (technically, they're motorized infantry like the French have with their VABs and the Marines with their LAVs). Or maybe pay extra money to train units to be paratroopers/ rangers/ commandos, etc.?

And as for the National Guard, I was in both the US Army and the Illinois Army National Guard as an infantryman, so I can tell you it is never easy or cheap to deploy the National Guard. It would also seriously hurt the economy (taking workers and students out of their jobs, having to compensate everyone, etc.). That's one of the reasons the Guard was never deployed to Vietnam. But maybe you can give them special capabilities for internal security?

Oh - a question - will we be able to name ships? Like if we build two Alaska-class BCGNs, will they both be simply named "Alaska" or can we have the option to name one "Alaska" and the other "Hawaii" or something?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I can tell you that the JSF is in the game, we have it at 28 Million (33 for VTOL version) and available 2008 (2012 for VTOL) per jet. We assume a standard 18 jets to the squadron. Also, it's stats put it as one of the best fighters available.

As for the ships, I have not completed any of the naval lists so far. If you have a unit you think should be in, feel free to drop me an e-mail with the details. The full unit title is the minimum I need but would always appreciate at least a suggested "year availble" and nationality.

We do have Airborne, Airbore Elite and Special Forces but some of the ones you've mentioned haven't been specified. In some cases, we simply assume that the Medium Infantry would be so close to the "Marines" unit that having both is unnecessary. If any of these have special cases, please let me know. It's always simple to add a few units.

On the topic of the National Guard, we take all military personel from the population as you build up your forces and this does affect approval ratings. Currently, National Guard units do not have any more or less effect than any other units, though you may be happy to know that they rate as much more effective than a basic "light infantry" unit.

And finally, on renaming ships, we anticipated this request and players can rename any unit. The unit type would always remain the same so you know what it is if you rename it. By default they will however re-use the same name.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”