F117 and YF-23

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

Two things, first, to me it sounds like you have the F-117 NightHawk (stealth 'fighter') as an actual fighter. As far as I know the F117 has no Air-to-Air capablities, it is more like a small bomber, as far as i know.
Second, you could add the YF-23 (F-23) as a replacement for the F-14 Tomcat. I think this would be more then possible because of the two companies that designed it, Northrop Grumman and McDonnell Douglas. Grumman, now part of Northrup Grumman built the F-14 and A-6 Intruder, while McDonnell Douglas built the A-4 the F-4 and F-18. Vought, now also part of Northrop Grumman built the A-7 and F-8.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks for the feedback. We do have the F-117 in the game but it is in the “fighter/bomber” section not the “fighter/interceptor” section. With the number of planes that are multi-role fighters these days, it’s been hard to make some of the distinctions but you are correct. The F-117 in fact does not have a single air-to-air engagement weapon. We have given it a zero air attack value.

As for the YF-23, someone already asked for this unit in another thread. I went looking to find it so I could point you to it but I can’t find it. I mentioned that since the F-22 was picked as the model of choice I haven’t collected any data on the YF-23 and it is unlikely to be added before release. As for making it a replacement for the F-14, I would not make it an “upgrade path” if that’s what you meant. We only allow units to upgrade that stay within the same general form. For example an F-14A can be upgraded to an F-14D. Once the F-22 is available, the player would have to scrap, store or sell their F-14s and build F-22s if they wanted to switch their airforce.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

do you make a distinction between Air Force and Navy aircraft. This is, ones that can land on a carrier, like F-4, F-14, A-6, F/A-18 and those that can't, A-10, F-15, F-16, F-117?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Yes, but the destinction is not that one is a navy craft and the other is not. All air units have an on/off flag for "can land on a long deck carrier" and "can land on a short deck carrier". Helos and VTOLs can use short deck, certain aircraft like the F-14 and F-18 are tagged to be able to use long deck carriers. Each carrier is tagged for nothing (troop carrier), Short (Helo carrier) or long (aircraft carrier) for landing ability.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”