Naval coastline bombardment...will it be possible?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Draken
General
Human: Yes

Post by Draken »

You can make a battalion anywhere from 50% to 150% strenght ... At least in Beta 8 :)

But, relax, I pretty sure that is still in :)

Edit: Note to self: Do not post before having my morning coffee. Typo fixed
Last edited by Draken on Apr 28 2005, edited 1 time in total.
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

I think you may be looking for a different "level" of startegy game. Grand startegies are different because you are working on a larger scale. It would be impossible to affective micromanage an army of 3 million people and an unknown amount of equipment. If it was possible then there would not be ranks in the military. The general would simply issue orders to 3 million people.

Also the tactics you talk of work for RTSs simply because there is no true realism in those games. you want to be more efficient and save on resources but in C&C and Starcraft units have unlimited ammo.

Also lets say you did set your arties in the < formation to save ammo. fine you saved it from being fired but it is still with those formations. A good general provides sufficient amounts of ammo for each unit to perform their duty, not each formation to perform their duty.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

CptBritish wrote:...u can construct a battlion at full, half or quarter strenght... Is this still in?
Yes, we also added an option in the popup for units and in the advanced orders to "split" a unit. This can allow you to break a unit apart so it can be air or sea transported easier. Merging units can be done only through advanced orders and there is a maximum merge/minimum split size.

We also fixed the bug where cargo units would move cargo one unit at a time even if they had the capacity to carry them all at once. Now, when a ship arrives at a pick up point, it will load as many units as it can that are going to the same destination as the unit who's transport request he responded too. They will not however wait for late arrivals.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Kinda offtopic, but :

Can you split an already "splited" unit?

Can you merge units of the same type that came from different battalions?

Can you go below or over the 50% / 150% limits when splinting or merging?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I don't remember the limit, but as I mentioned, there is a maximu split and a maximum merge. I think it's just above the 150% and just below the 50% mark.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
spiritofatlantis
Lieutenant

Post by spiritofatlantis »

I think it's great the splitting and merging option is in.
I didn't mean to let's say micromanage every unit of a 2 million army all the time.
Though i just wanted to split them when needed, like in the example i gave.
That wouldn't mean i would split every division into pieces of 1 man.
At sometimes one just likes to have companies, battaljons, brigades, divisions, regiments and armies.
But at other times platoons and squads will suffice.
And at other times just one tank or artillery unit could suffice.
But i didn't mean to split all teams into units of 1, only when i found it nessecary to be more efficient and to form my own formations and plan custom tactics with groups of single units.
Not all the time offcourse, but only at certain times and situations...to just have that option, meaning that the player wouldn't be stuck with compulsory large teams, but if wanted to just split teams up in pieces of 1 to micromanage those...for those special situations in which you maybe want to (highly) customize your formations and tactics.
Jan
Captain

Post by Jan »

Balthagor wrote:(...)The scenario designer decides who a player is offered equipment from by specifiying the region code (discussed in some of our equipment file discussions) but only certain units in the game where marked above a zero availability.(...)
So, if i understand correctly, in the "SRUNITS.csv", i can decide if a unit will be proposed, or not, by putting a value higher than zero in the column "Market Availability", right?

and i guess that higher the value is, higher is the probability that the WM propose it? what is the maximum value?

now what about scens where the WM is deactivated? is that column also influencing which designs teh countries will agree to sell or not?

PS: the forum is full of great infos but one is loosing much time in searching them, a "indeep Game Mechanics FAQ " would be great ;)

cheers,

Jan
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Jan wrote:...by putting a value higher than zero in the column "Market Availability", right?

and i guess that higher the value is, higher is the probability that the WM propose it? what is the maximum value?
That is correct.
Jan wrote:...now what about scens where the WM is deactivated? is that column also influencing which designs teh countries will agree to sell or not?
No, it has no effect if there is no WM.
Jan wrote:...PS: the forum is full of great infos but one is loosing much time in searching them, a "indeep Game Mechanics FAQ " would be great ;)
I agree that would be nice, but we don't really have the time to put one together. That is what the Wiki is for, ppl can aks questions here then build their own FAQ on the wiki. I've copied tons of data from here to the wiki over the last few years. Feel free to add some yourself.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”