improved special inf?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

dust off
General

improved special inf?

Post by dust off »

Just an idea to throw into the pot.
Nearly all unit types are improve with research. Concept units like land warrior and also improved tanks like M1A4 might seriously undermine the punch of special forces, rangers, marines airbourne etc. So that during the latter stages of the game the special forces rangers etc might not have the same ability to drop behind enemy lines to take and hold bridges etc. In the real world special force, rangers etc are likey to get the investment that maintains their edge.
So that there might be a case for these units to have researchable improved versions.

(PS. I personally think that the Foriegn Legion stats are a little low)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I think the intention was for there to be a land warrior special forces. Most of the special forces types should be availbale as new versions later on to make use of the new equipment. There are still tons of future units to be added, one of the many things on my to-do list.

I've flagged the Foreign Legion to look at it's stats...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Penta
Lieutenant

Post by Penta »

I would agree.

the FL, at present, is sort of pointless.

Thought on similar matter:

Something not represented right now is the fact that most first-world forces (indeed, all of them) are just about completely motorized.

The lack of a distinction between administrative (non-combat) and tactical (combat) movement makes this harder, granted.

Also, are APCs' function as troopcarriers implemented? It is, after all, their whole point.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

not so much, we have the APCs come with a battalion of soldiers attached. Limitation of the engine. I have a note for some more detailed supply truck type units that would include some APC type vehicles...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

I have a note for some more detailed supply truck type units that would include some APC type vehicles...
Including amphibious (supply) vehicles?
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

Including amphibious (supply) vehicles?
I have been asking for that for a while. If you have the beta you look at the SRUNITS.crv in the Ini folder. The LAV-L, which hasn't been implemented, is such a vehicle. The also have the Stormer supply truck (probably should changed to vehicle as it isn't a truck) which is an armored load carrier. I personally believe there should also be an 'AAVL7A1 Supply Vehicle', a cargo version of the AAVP7A1 (no seperate designation exists, as the AAVP7A1 carries either infantry or cargo, however you wouldn't want people confusing the two).

I was going to make a list of all the cargo and command variants, however I was finding too many command vehicles, so I put a halt to the project. Might just look for load carriers.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

remember, we need stuff that would be used as a full battalion. I'm not sure you'd find a battalion of AAVs dedicated to nothing but transportation. I've made 3D Models for a heavier (HEMMT) supply truck and a tracked (Stormer) version, but George didn't really like the tracked version.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

remember, we need stuff that would be used as a full battalion. I'm not sure you'd find a battalion of AAVs dedicated to nothing but transportation.
The original intent for the LVT7 was for it to carry either troops, then cargo ashore. True, when it became the AAVP7A1 emphasis passed onto the APC role, but it can still do both. Because you can't seperate troops from vehicles, then a dedicated supply battalion I think is a logical move. The idea thing to do is give them the ability to 'rearm' from the APC to the Supply version and vice versa.

Didn't like the 3D model for the Stormer or doesn't like the tracked supply vehicle idea?
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

The British have amphibius wheeled supply regiments equipped with Stalwarts
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

he didn't like the vehicule idea...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Some unit issues:

1. Land warrior/ Elite Warrior: looks like you may have their stats about face, that is land warrior has better combat values than elite warrior.

2. Land warrior and elite warrior both have comabt time of 50hr. At the moment the battery life of land warrior kit is less than two hours. Although they are hoping to increas batery time to 30hr with next generation bateries. Just for debate, why is land warrior combat time so much more than regular inf? also once operational I should imagine there will be a land warrior adapted IFV to charge batteries, rebroadcast signals etc and basically move them about.

3. Why are Marine btns so small. Default strenght 27. Special forces are defaulted to 35. Marine btns are no smaller than other inf btns. also for debate might be an idea to slightly reduce special forces default strenght.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

3. Why are Marine btns so small. Default strenght 27. Special forces are defaulted to 35. Marine btns are no smaller than other inf btns. also for debate might be an idea to slightly reduce special forces default strenght.
Marine (USA) squad size is 13, so 13 * 27 = 351 Marines per Btn

SF (USA) squad size is 5, so 5 * 35 = 175 soldiers per Btn
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Sorry, I don't quite understand completely whether you agree that a change is in order Draken?

UK marine btns are pretty much the same size as inf btns.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

I would have sworn that I typed the rest of my post.... :oops:

D@rn work!!! It distracts you from important things....
Looks like I was trying to prove you that USA Marine Btn are not smaller than a USA SF Btn in the game... But after reading you post again I realized that that was not what you were talking about... Sorry.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Draken:
I would have sworn that I typed the rest of my post....

D@rn work!!! It distracts you from important things....
Looks like I was trying to prove you that USA Marine Btn are not smaller than a USA SF Btn in the game... But after reading you post again I realized that that was not what you were talking about... Sorry
No worries.
I am only talking about number of squads strength.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”