Temporary Airfields???

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Temporary Airfields???

Post by CptBritish »

To my understanding (might be wrong but doesn't hurt to ask) is that Fighter Planes and helicopters only have a certain range from you bases.

Is it possible to build some kind of temporary base/airfield so they can take-off from there for when ur deep in enemy/occupided with no bases for miles?
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

Have you tried airstrips?

Have you tried capturing enemy airstrips/airports?

There will be soon be aircraft carriers - that you can fly planes from.

You can ally with neighbours or at least get a transit treaty... and use their airports to fly from.

With our maps restricted to smaller closed areas of the world, until you get to the world level, air doesn't need to go too far and strategy will be needed to utilize air power effectively.

Let me know if you are thinking of something different...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I also still have an issue with VTOL getting a little more attention. I'd like to see Harriers able to land at bases or supply depots. I think this would reflect the advantage they provide since they suffer from low speed and low payload compared to some of the other aircraft.

Obviously, they already get the advantage that they can use even short deck carriers.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

erm legend u say that to me as if i'm supposed to no :D

i'm not a beta tester would like to not no anything (other than wat i read) about it was just somthing that popped into my head when i was looking at the forums

and btw u wouldn't believe the payload harriers can carry, Two sidewinders, two FFM pods and cluster bombs, Fuel drop pods (longer range) to name a few, plus the Cannon on the front.

Low range though they burn up a load of fuel when they are doing the VTOL.
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Seems this coversation is along same lines as the helicopter issue.
helos should only be able to refuel at FARPs (and airstips etc of course).
Two typs of FARP could be available- wheeled, consisting of fuel & ammo trucks, and leg type able to be carried by chinnooke / ch53 helos. These methods are used by western nations to supply their attack helicopters.

Is this sort of idea on the agenda?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Helicopters do get refueled/rearmed by FARPS.

The current FARP crew will have a truck pic later on but will move at the same speed. If it's ready to "refuel" than it can't move around very fast. It is air transportable already.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
red
General

Post by red »

When FARPs are implemented, will helicopters still be resupplied by landing on normal ground hexes?
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

If it's ready to "refuel" than it can't move around very fast.
good point.

As Red is hinting I think FARPs should be the the only place for helicopters to re fuel and rearm other than air bases/strips.

Also when I order helicopters to attack from a FARP they do not return there, instead they go to nearby aribase/strip.
Penta
Lieutenant

Post by Penta »

That last, I think, would be going too far.

FARPs are frequently the aviation equivalent of firebases - essentially, small, temporary bases for aviation units. Missions could certainly originate from there and end there.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Er, I did not express myself clearly, in the beta at the momemnt helicopters ordered from FARPs return to an airstrip/base...

What I wanted to say was that they should return there.

Thanks Penta.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”