Spy Planes, Surveillance Planes, and UAV

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

On 2003-05-02 10:01, Hanibal wrote:

maybe am mistaken but if i have a spy satelite why would i send a spy plane?
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hanibal on 2003-05-02 10:02 ]</font>
You watched that Enemy Of The State film to many times.The spy satelite images are very poor compared to spy planes.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

One issue we haven't dealt with is ECM.

Should the player be able to build units that reduce opposing unit's line of sight? What effect would people like to see from these? How important to gameplay are they?

...eagerly awaiting feedback...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

As far as I know:
In RL aircrafts can use jammers to keep radars from getting the precise location of the aircraft and to confuse the targeting systems of SAMs.

The problem however is that the ECM pod sends very strongly.
This way the enemy knows that the plane is "there" but does not know exactly where it is.

So I think that there should be at least some kind of ECM technology that increases the denfenses for aircrafts against SAM units.

I also do believe that current ECM technology would make it possible to hide other units behind the jammer aircraft.

The jammer aircraft could either really "hide" other units behind it (unless the other sides has some kind of ECCM) or it could at least give units in range a defense boost.
In both cases however the jammer aircraft can be seen from afar and it clearly makes a target out of itself.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

How about this idea…

For this example I’m going to use an EA-6B Prowler as the ECM unit and an E2-C as the spotter. This is based on the fact that the game engine is still designed that a hex is either visible or “fog of war” covered. Units currently cannot be seen through fog of war. Some of the values will be guesses...

EA-6B;
Spotting; 80km
Jamming; 50km

E2-C;
Spotting; 240km.

Let’s say that Player 1 has an E6 at his carrier 200km off shore from Player 2 who has an E2 at his airport near the cost. Player 2 launches the E2 to spot the carrier. Every hex for 240km radius around the E2 becomes visible. The carrier can be seen. Player 1 launches the E6. The E2 and E6 are nowhere near each other...

Option 1a.

The E6 circles the carrier. It has a jamming range of 50km. E2 is 200 km away. Spotting into the “jammed” airspace is completely blocked unless the spotter is within 2/3 of the total spotting range. Thus, if the E-2 moves to 160km from the carrier it would just be able to spot the carrier but no farther. If the spotter moves within the jamming range of the ECM unit, it’s spotting range is reduced by 33% to 160km in all directions.

Option 1b.

The E6 circles the carrier but the spotter is not within the “jammed” airspace so nothing is hidden. The E6 closes to 50km from the E2. This puts the spotter within “jammed” airspace. The spotting is reduced by 33% to 160km in all directions.

Option 1c.

Units that have ECM have a stronger defence value, no effect to spotting ranges. (This would mean an ECM only protects the ECM unit… think this defeats the purpose.)

Option 1d.

The ECM Unit creates a “dead zone” into which unit cannot spot. For this option, option 2 would need to be used as well...

Option 2.

All ECM Units can be seen under the “fog of war” the same way that roads and upgrades can be seen. This option could be used with any of the Option 1 choices but would be needed for 1d.

These are just some ideas I’ve been tossing around. Some variation of these might be even better… feel free to make suggestions. (How do other developers do this WITHOUT asking the community for advice?!?)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Geta
Warrant Officer

Post by Geta »

On 2003-05-02 16:24, Balthagor wrote:
How about this idea…

Option 1a.

The E6 circles the carrier. It has a jamming range of 50km. E2 is 200 km away. Spotting into the “jammed” airspace is completely blocked unless the spotter is within 2/3 of the total spotting range. Thus, if the E-2 moves to 160km from the carrier it would just be able to spot the carrier but no farther. If the spotter moves within the jamming range of the ECM unit, it’s spotting range is reduced by 33% to 160km in all directions.
I like 1a the best. It has a good game play "feel" to it and it seems to simulate the ability to "burn through the jamming".
Geta
Warrant Officer

Post by Geta »

On 2003-05-02 16:24, Balthagor wrote:

These are just some ideas I’ve been tossing around. Some variation of these might be even better… feel free to make suggestions. (How do other developers do this WITHOUT asking the community for advice?!?)
Being an old developer myself, I would suggest that these days, many developers are doing what you are doing, and that is soliciting feedback from customers and potential customers. When an open forum such as this was not always available (early to mid-90s) then alot of people sat around brainstorming with friends and on the BBSs. Before that, the developers that really wanted realism, did alot of research, and then alot of guessing. The ones with contacts in the military, would use them. Also, board wargamers and minitures players were a good source of this type of data.

Then there are those game developers that are not as interested, as you are, in accuracy or good simulation modeling or good game play. :smile:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well, I'm glad to know that the community appreciates the forum, I know that we've appreciated all the issues it's help us make decisions on as opposed to guessing.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”