Question about Helicopters

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

FFDmh2223
Warrant Officer

Question about Helicopters

Post by FFDmh2223 »

Shouldn't the CH-47 be available as an assault helicopter aswell as a transport helo. The one variant is MH-47E Chinook SOF, obviously this is probably geared for assault. Same with he CH-53 this is the helicopter of choice by the US Marine Corps, I know they use it for assault. Perhaps the transport helicopters like the UH-60s, CH/MH-47s, CH/MH-53s, UH-1s, V-22s, etc should be able to be used in a dual role or have variants in the assualt category. Because really almost all of them are used as transports and assault helos not just one or the other.

I think CH-46 is one of the only ones used soley for transport.

I basing my arguement that there is an obvious difference between the helos that fall into the assault catagory and the ones that don't
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

We do have entries for specialized versions of various helos, for example I'm pretty sure the MH-47 is in. However, I don't think any of those are particularly strong in an assault role - even the specialty variants are still not designed for assault in the same way as an Apache, etc.

Chris can provide further details about the specs of the MH variants...

-- George.
FFDmh2223
Warrant Officer

Post by FFDmh2223 »

I was more or less referring to the the UH-60 black hawks and H-92 Super Hawks, they are considered assault helos, they are transport helos just like H-47, H-53, H-46, V-22. Why don't they have the H-47, H-53, and V-22 as assault, Much of the H-47 H-53 are used for assault missions The MH variants you are right I think they are designed for stealth infiltration.

None of these helo are geared for and combat role like the apache, That's why it's difficult for me to see any of them in the assault combat catagory. I'm guessing by assault you mean cargo helos like the UH-60 land under fire to drop of troops that's what I was figuring, All I was saying is almost all helos in use do this, no one cargo utility helo is design only for assault
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

This type of thing can be reflected in the unit stats. The "Category" dose nothing but sort the unit. I had not really considered more heavily armed versions of the helicopters and am not sure that they would prove particularly usefull. Even the combat helicopters have a hard time in areas where the player does not have an absolute air superiority so having more units that have a lesser attack/defense may not achieve much. I'll look into it further, not sure yet.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I've reviewed it a little and don't think the CH-47 should have a second entry in the Combat Helos section. It has no armament. When used in an assault role, I get the impression it is unloading units that do the fighting. I’m sure a 12.7mm MG could be secured to the side, but that doesn’t really sound like a combat helo, that sounds like a field refit. The MH-47 has the MGs already but even it is outfitted for stealth insertion of Special Forces, not for combat.

Same goes for the CH-53A/E. The MH-53 has only an XM-218 .50 caliber machine gun. Hueys in the game are not that useful since they are too small to really carry much and in an assault role, they just don’t have the attack capability to do much. The V-22’s machine gun is specifically listed as a defensive weapon. Putting any of these in the Combat Helo section would encourage ppl to use them in this fashion and it’s just a bad idea. The Blackhawk and Defenders in the Combat Helo section at least come with some ATGMs.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
FFDmh2223
Warrant Officer

Post by FFDmh2223 »

okay well you sold me on the stats, I was just reading the what the defense department stated about the helicopters especially the H-53 and 46s they described them as an assault helo used in the assault phase of an amphibious landing. I just figured it to be one. I guess you have point that the H-60s are better equipt for assault. Well as long as we have the option to send them on that mission I guess it doesn't matter.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”