New Infantry request

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

FFDmh2223
Warrant Officer

New Infantry request

Post by FFDmh2223 »

okay you got:
Green Berets
Airborne Elite
Special Forces
medium infantry

I'm wondering if these could be added:
Marines: for amphibious assualts and a step up from regular infantry
Mountain Infantry: for mountain warfare

I'm guessing you have your reasons for leaving them out but I think it would be an asset.

on a different note just a suggestion:
Green berets are special forces why not have Special Forces incompass Army Green Berets, Army Rangers, Navy SEALs, and Delta Force Operators. Really with maybe the exception of Rangers being less trained and Delta slightly more trained than the rest, there training and quality are the same. For purposes of simplicity combine them all and add other important infantry like:

marines and mountain infantry

Also what are medium infantry?
I didn't see any regular infantry as your lower infantry on the list. I would guess that green berets would not be the lowest trained most affordable soldier. Regular infantry should be the lowest:
List could be
Regular infantry
Airborne infantry
Mountain infantry
Marines
Special Forces
Medium infantry whatever they represent.

I know I only did the US but I'm sure that Russia and China have there own versions of these troops aswell as some other countries
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Marines are in already. For the mountain infantry, I don't think that is needed. Any unit can be trained for Desert, Alpine, Tropical or Urban combat. Moutain Infantry sounds like Airborne or Special Forces with Alpine training.

as for the rest of the list, you missed Rangers as well. Found the info from an old post;;
Balthagor wrote:Special Forces are already in the game. We've been using them primarily for air drops. Using air drops or helo insertions allows them to get in behind enemy lines and hold out for a long time. This is because Special Forces have a very low rate of supplies consumption. It's assumed that they all have the "McGuyver" gene allowing them to make bullets out of shoe laces if they have too...

As for attacking structures, they have a good fortification attack value but "Ranger" units would do this a little better. We've actually used four types of Special Forces in the game.

- Special Forces; best at holding in unsupplied territory
- Green Berets; Best at "close quarters" fighting
- Rangers; Best at demolishion missions
- Elite Forces; sort of a "poor countrie's" Special Forces. weakest of these.

The Rangers are only available to US regions but Green Berets and Special Forces can be used by European and Israeli regions based on the fact that they have their own versions of these. Elite Forces was added in case the player starts somewhere that wouldn't have such units. Elite Forces gives them something they can research that is similar though not quite as good. All of them have a reduced profile making them harder to spot.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
FFDmh2223
Warrant Officer

Post by FFDmh2223 »

okay well I don't see rangers in the infantry for the US. but as I posted in another post about infantry they should all be produced independent of vehicles. Vehicles are should be loaded after the fact with whatever you want, regular infantry, marines spec forces whatever. Not built with soldiers included. I can see for things only used by marines or a certain type off unit like the APC used by marines but for HMMWV or UH60s its a bad idea. I'm not sure if you used this approach or not but I think it's a good idea. Applause if you did boos and hissing if you didn't
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It would seem that the Marines and Rangers are not on the website, but then the website is not the entire list. Most things are there but we filtered out some of the fictional stuff. Looking into why the Rangers and Marines are there...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

fixed, they now appear. Good catch.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
FFDmh2223
Warrant Officer

Post by FFDmh2223 »

thanks glad I could help
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

For the British you would need "Royal Marine Commandos" (who wear green berets). I have a question, are there still British Army Commandos also?

Though I do think there are too many 'special' infantry units for the US. You have the Marines and the Airborne, IMO "Rangers' supersedes the need for "Airborne Elite" and "Green Berets" fill the need for "Special Forces". Of course I don't see a US Marine Recon Battalion.
India 51A
Captain

Post by India 51A »

Slash78 wrote: I have a question, are there still British Army Commandos also?
No, only Royal Marine Commandos.

It would be a good idea to keep an eye on the British Army in the next few months, with Defence cuts announced and new formations being talked about. One I heard a little about was something about The 1st Parachute Battalion being incorporated with the SAS. How well this would go down with the SAS is debatable but that is apparently what is going to happen.
"It is well that war is so terrible.
We should grow too fond of it."

Robert E. Lee
Battle of Fredericksburg,
13 December 1862
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

One thing if nothing else

AH-64 Longbow for the British ^_^ The British in this game need a good Helicopter. (and we get it soon in real life anyway)
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

An AH-64 Longbow for the Brits? Why not give them whatever the newest Eurocopter is?
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

cus thats wat were getting in real life.

I may only be in the TA (a kind of British National Guard Except we go into operations more).

But they tell us wat equipment were going to be having covering our backs in the near furture :roll:

Thinking about it they have said they were going to have MLRS soon as well.
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I know that the Longbow has been made accessible in the British units tree but I have not yet marked it as pre-researched for any of the regions. We may say that full development was never completed and the player has to finish the research. I need to do a fair amount of work on that scenario so I can't say for sure yet...

I think you're also right about the MLRS, if memory serves, it's also in the British units tree.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Procer
Warrant Officer

Post by Procer »

I want to bump this thread to tell you that I think the game should have Mountain Infantry.

Mountain training of regular units is not enough.

Mountain troops are specialized infantry in big numbers (not just special forces) that uses special equipment for high altitude and harsh conditions. They move either on foot, on horse, in small ATVs (like the civilian ones), in motorcycles, etc... They are supported by special mountain artillery. Their gear is also different.

Argentina and Chile have these since the early XX century, and in big numbers in comparison with their field infantry. These are not like the American 10th Mountain Division, which in fact has less mountain training than a USMC unit, but argentinian and chilean are based in the mountains and operate in the mountains.

Other countries with these would be, presumably, Pakistan and India. Also, remember the german bergsjaegers from WW2. Maybe Norway, Switzerland, and some other european countries have big numbers of this specialized infantry, but i don't know.

Argentinian and Chilean mountain units are brigade size, AFAIK, and are called "Cazadores de Montaña" (literal translation from german "bergsjaeger") or "Infantería de Montaña". Argentina has also specialized company sized units for jungle warfare, called "Cazadores de Monte" that also have mountain and desert training. It has also several Marines (Naval Infantry) battalions with serious mountain warfare training.

Just my 5 cents to include Mountain Inf. in the game, which I did not found yet in the game.
Procer
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

Mountain Troops have historically been present. However, in 21st century combat, a specialized mountain division is not needed.

Any division of infantry, marines, rangers, etc can be a mountain division. Train them in the art of fighting in the mountains, and rename the division "Mountain Infantry"(or whatever)

This is basically how troops are trained these days. You have a command of specops(rangers, green berets, navy seals, etc and to an extent, normal infantry divisions are set up this way). There will be X amount of divisions in this command, and each division will be trained for a certain area of the world. Such as, one division is assigned to the south american jungles, one is assigned to the deserts of africa and the mid east, another is trained for the forests of Europe, another is trained for the plains of mongolia, etc.(not exactly those, but you get the idea and those regions are picked for cultural/language reasons as well)

Combat in the 21st century is too fluid and changing to designate an entire unit design to a single terrain type. You train all your troops to be able to cope with it, and you train X amount of troops to excel in mountainous terrain.

Such as the spec ops in Afghanistan weren't mountain units perse, they merely had some training in mountain combat to complement their broad array of training.

Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself and assuming that every country is going to have units trained like the RL US units. Really though, any good mountain division of old is basically a stock infantry division that has had extensive training and outfitting for fighting in mountains. Something you can do with any unit in this game, though I suppose you might not see the mountain terrain bonuses you are looking for.
Procer
Warrant Officer

Post by Procer »

Fair enough but the point I wanted to make is that Mountain troops have "specialized mountain equipment".

To illustrate how harsh a mountain region can be, yesterday a chilean unit got lost in the Andes during a storm while returning on foot from an exercise. They found 50 alive. There's still around 50 missing presumed dead.

They were not mountain troops and lacked proper equipment. It's in the news, I suppose.
Procer

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”