Ideas requested for firing ranges...

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I think that Aurore was not talking about the actual range of the piece, but the actual effective range. Just because an artillery is quoted at 50km does not mean that it's crew can effectively hit/saturate something at that distance. I would expect that particularly with less modern equipment being able to calculate longer distances and correct their fire faster would only come with experience. I believe that Aurore is actually suggesting that green units not be allowed to effectivley hit over the entire range of the unit.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
India 51A
Captain

Post by India 51A »

Balthagor wrote: Just because an artillery is quoted at 50km does not mean that it's crew can effectively hit/saturate something at that distance.
I agree, but then what you are saying here is they couldn't hit/saturate the target at that range. That is not what the debate is about, the debate was whether or not an experienced crew could fire a weapon further than an inexperienced one, not whether or not they could hit the target. I could put anyone behind a GPMG, get them to pull the trigger, and it would fire to it's maximum range, I could put an 81mm mortar round in my 79 year old Mothers hand, get her to drop it down the barrel and with it set to charge 8, it would travel to it's maximum range. Your statement above refers to accuracy, i.e. does not mean that it's crew can effectively hit/saturate something at that distance.,
anyone who is shown how to fire a weapon can fire it to it's maximum range, whether or not they can hit the target is another question, but that is not what we have been discussing, you, and others have been saying experienced crews can fire a particular weapon further than it's maximum range, wrong, it is just not possible!
"It is well that war is so terrible.
We should grow too fond of it."

Robert E. Lee
Battle of Fredericksburg,
13 December 1862

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”