First US military Trimaran?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

First US military Trimaran?

Post by Slash78 »

Interesting.
General Dynamics Selected for Final-Design Stage of Littoral Combat Ship Program

BATH, Maine – The U.S. Navy announced today that a team led by Bath Iron Works, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), has been awarded a $79 million option to an existing contract to continue development of its proposed solution for the U.S. Navy’s newest class of ships, the Littoral Combat Ship. The original contract was awarded in July, 2003.

The General Dynamics approach features an innovative trimaran hull that enables the ship to reach sustainable speeds of nearly 50 knots and range as far as 10,000 nautical miles with an unmatched interior volume and payload. The ship is designed to allow a crew of fewer than 40 sailors to fully operate, maintain and defend it.

Two teams, the General Dynamics team and one other, were selected from a field of three to proceed into this stage of development for the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS). Those three teams had previously been down-selected from a field of six.

Dugan Shipway, president of General Dynamics Bath Iron Works, said, “We’re very pleased to have been selected by the Navy to continue development of the design for this next generation of surface combatants. Bath Iron Works is one of the Navy’s longest-serving shipbuilding partners, and we are proud to have a role on the Littoral Combat Ship.”

The Littoral Combat Ship is a key element of the Navy’s plan to address asymmetric threats. Intended to operate in coastal areas of the globe, the ship will be fast, highly maneuverable and geared to supporting mine detection/elimination, anti-submarine warfare and surface warfare, particularly against small surface craft.

Key characteristics of the ship proposed by the General Dynamics team include:

Capable of supporting several missions simultaneously.

Open-architecture information systems enable over-the-horizon surveillance and reconnaissance, global networking and coordinated air, surface and undersea tactical picture.

Incorporation of stealth technologies increases ship and crew survivability.

Shallow draft allows operations near the shore.

More payload per ton of displacement than any previous U.S. warship.

Huge interior volume delivers enhanced mission capabilities and endurance.

Supports concurrent and simultaneous operation of two large (H-60) helicopters.

Bath Iron Works is the prime contractor on the program. Austal USA, of Mobile, Ala., a subsidiary of Australian shipbuilder Austal Ships, is supporting final design efforts for the team’s aluminum and steel trimaran warship. General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems, of Arlington, Va., is leading the ship’s open-architecture based Core Mission System design and integration from its Pittsfield, Mass. facility.

Other team members include CAE of Leesburg, Va.; BAE Systems, Rockville, Md.; Maritime Applied Physics Corporation, Baltimore, Md.; Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems, Baltimore, Md.; and three other General Dynamics companies: Armament and Technical Products (Burlington, Vt.), Electric Boat (Groton, Conn.) and General Dynamics Canada (Ottawa, Ontario).

Bath Iron Works of Bath, Maine, a leader in surface combatant design and construction, employs 6,700 people. General Dynamics, headquartered in Falls Church, Va., employs approximately 68,400 people worldwide and anticipates 2004 revenue of $19 billion. The company is a market leader in mission-critical information systems and technologies; land and expeditionary combat systems, armaments and munitions; shipbuilding and marine systems; and business aviation.

# # #

Note to Editors: High-resolution graphics of the General Dynamics team LCS ship concept are available at www.generaldynamics.com.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Excellent! There is a Trimaran technology that I was thinking I would need to create a bunch of fictional units to make use of it. This gives me a starting point, thanks!
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
chancellor
Sergeant

Post by chancellor »

I though they were going to replace the helecopters with like 29 UAVs, UWVs, and UUVs. They were going to be essentially drone hives. I thought at least.

~Matt~
chancellor
Sergeant

Post by chancellor »

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I had seen that as well, but I think I'll make two different units. First ones would be a Trimaran destroyer style ship, second would be a Trimaran short decked carrier at a later tech year.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Retributar
Corporal

Air-Sea & Land Stealth Weapon's

Post by Retributar »

Air-Sea & Land Stealth Weapon's:

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/inde ... 4?id=44055

I saw this on the History Channel just recently...it covers many types of Stealth Technology not covered in this topic thread!.

---------

Stealth And Beyond set:

-A comprehensive look at the evolution of stealth technology on land and sea and in the air.
-Features exclusive footage and unprecedented access to military labs and testing facilities.
-Meet the people who are designing and developing the next generation of stealth technology.

For years, it was among the most closely guarded secrets on earth. Today, stealth weaponry is an accepted fact--and a critical piece of American military planning and strategy. But just because the enemy knows it is out there doesn't mean they can find it.

STEALTH AND BEYOND is a comprehensive look at the technology that has revolutionized warfare. Each of the three hours in this fascinating set examines the past, present and future of stealth weapons through a riveting blend of technical expertise, exclusive footage and interviews with the people who create and use them:

-Air Stealth--See planes from the F-117 Nighthawk to the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter in action.
-Sea Stealth--Modern engineering can make our largest warships appear to be tugboats or fishing vessels.
-Land StealthNew technology in materials and sensory detection are being developed in the quest for the ultimate camouflage outfit.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”