New Chinese Ship

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

New Chinese Ship

Post by Slash78 »

Found this on another sight I frequent. Sounds interesting.
From Jane's Defence Weekly, 26 May 2004

First sight of Chinese catamaran

"New photographs have revealed the existence of a hitherto unknown Chinese fast-attack craft design based on a wave-piercing catamaran hullform and exhibiting a high degree of radar-cross-section (RSC) reduction in its topside design.

The vessel, carrying the pennant number 2208, was observed outside the Quixin shipyard following the launch in April. The design is characterised by a wave-piercing catamaran hullform, a centre bow to reduce the incidence of slamming and four waterjet propulsors aft (two in each hull).

The vessels are almost certainly made from aluminium alloy, already widely used in commercial fast ferry designs. Furthermore, photographs show the extent to which the vessel's designers have sought to reduce the RCS by faceting the other hull, bridge and topside structures and reducing external fittings.

Also apparent are modifications to reduce the RCS of the AK-630 gun mounting fitted forward. The presence of other weapon and sensor systems is less easy to discern. However, the wedge-shaped structures aft may be housings for anti-ship missiles, while some form of electro-optical director appears to be installed above the bridge deck. Analysts believe that the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) may be looking to introduce into service a large number of missile-armed fast-attack craft based on the wave-piercing catamaran hullform adopted by unit 2208."
tinjaw
Warrant Officer

Post by tinjaw »

StrategyPage.com posting this info a while ago and included some photos.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

hum, not sure what I'll do with this one but I'll do my best...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”