More Exp Questions

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

Since Tk already brought up exp in his other thread I thought i'd continue with a few more questions.

Can a person swap subunits with in au nit to another. Lets say for example you had two really high leveled XP Units that each suffered losses. Rather than letting each get new raw replacements and have overall exp lower could the two damaged experienced units merge and keep more of their exp?

Next I noticed something about different styles of training alpine, desert etc, does this mean each units AR/DR (Assault and Defense Ratings) will vary dependent upon terrain? Does this also mean bonuses for countries dependent upon their geographical local?

Ex- Russia gets bonuses if they attacked something like Alaska where as Mexico would suffer a decrease in AR/DR when attacking Moscow (..Just an example not that such a thing could probably ever occur.)

Also can units hten be specialized and train up in multiple things or will we be limited in just how many different things a unit can be trained in?

Next this is more so for armored units but would certain types of units suffer more so than others depending upon terrain? (This would probably encourage uh wahts that word...diversity in a persons military :grin:)

As for training itself will training for certain terrains require a base to train in be situated in similar terrain? Example- For the US to train a desert oriented division they'd have to send those troops to some place like Nevada or an allied country like Kuwait.

Next do only combat and training up a units experience levels? Or will there be other options? And besides AR/DR bonus will we get any other benefits? Enhanced Morale/Loyalty, or something?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Ooooooooo good questions !
I especially like the one about merging units in order to replace losses instead of bringing in a bunch of greenies to each unit.
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

Here here! Merging understrength, expericenced units would be wonderful!
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

hehe thanks for the support on that question- now lets just hope George and company can include it?
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

Merging Units is in the Design Document we just haven't figured out how to do the inteface for it yet. It's definitely a preferred way up getting experienced units back up to full strenght.

"Bonuses for Countries based on their Georgraphic Locale" - I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. If you mean that since Russia is like Alaska in terms of weather and terrain will Russian Troups automatically have a bonus attacking into Alaska, then "No". Troups are troups and are given general troup-type training that is not terrain specific. Advanced training would then add a terrain benefit and theoretically equip your unit more suitably for the type of terrain they are being trained for.

There is only 1 terrain type bonus per unit at any given time. It can be changed by retraining the unit, but we assume that supplies provided are also modified by the training. For instance you don't give foot soldiers climbing boots when they are given dessert training.

Yes -- different types of units attack and defense values are affected by terrain.

No -- you don't need a base in that type of terrain to be trained for it. Maybe this isn't as realistic as it could be, but we have to take poetic license from time to time. Since the unit is in "Reserve" while it is training and no longer appears on the map, you can assume that the troops were then transported to proper terrain to train :wink: and that it is just the unit's equipment that is still stationed at the base.

Yes, as far a I can recall, only combat and training will increase a unit's experience level. Did you have some suggestions of other things that would improve it? Let us know...

As to the other benefits of trainig: Morale will definitely benefit from structured training, as will the overall Military Approval Rating --- this can be quite important, particularly if your Domestic Approval Rating starts to go down (you better have a happy military when the peasants are at your door :smile: ).

Hope that helps,

- David
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

"Yes, as far a I can recall, only combat and training will increase a unit's experience level. Did you have some suggestions of other things that would improve it? Let us know..."

Regular visits from red haired green eyed serving wenches should raise a units experience :grin:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I thought it would have greater effect on morale :wink:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Ahh... That's just my favourite kind of training :grin:
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Here's actually the way experience looks to be working out...

Units gain experience through training and through combat. As a unit takes damage (but lives) any reinforcements that unit gets come in WITHOUT changing the experience level pf the unit.

We have found that currently if a unit enters combat, it has a very good chance of not living to tell about it :smile: So with such a high unit death rate, the units that survive should keep their experience and not get their casualties replaced by green troops that would almost certainly average down their experience to near starting level.

Comments??? Of course as more of the AI gets implemented and units run away better, we may think about changing this again...
Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

On 2003-01-27 14:31, BattleGoat wrote:
Units gain experience through training and through combat.
Should'nt loosing battles effect the unit negatively ,say getting a loser mentality like the iraq army in 91 for instance.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Can you tell me why the unit death rate is so high ?
This sounds like a real problem.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Well the unit death count is high most probably because we play in Multi Player and are REALLY competitive :smile: What's a few thousand casualties when prides at stake...

I agree that the death rate is a little too high right now, but until the AI is a little more developed right now it is a lot like chess... sacrificing some cheaper infantry (pawns) to get at the other guys artillery (rooks). But watch out for the helicopter wolf packs (queens)!
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

Why not have a gradual buildup of experience for green recruits when they join a unit? If you are using experience points to track unit XP (with a certain amount of XP per rating) then why not introduce another variable to track? :smile:
Have the units previous XP before merging.
Have the units XP after merging. (Which determines it's ranking)
Take the difference between the two and set it as a third variable.
1st "turn" give 30% of the difference.
2nd "turn" give 20% of the difference.
3rd = 15%
4th = 10%
5th = 8%
6th = 6%
7th = 4%
8th = 3%
9th = 2%
10th = 1%
That will gradually bring the unit's actual XP up to 99% of what the unit used to be before the recruits. Now you would have to change the weighting depending on the ratio of green to veteran. A unit with few green recruits would get whipped into shape much quicker in a group of veterans than a unit with mostly greenies with a few veterans.
Alternatively, you could just increment the units XP by 10 - 50% of the difference each turn. The initial gain would be greater, as it should be. The return would go down over time as the difference between the new rating and the old shrinks. Note that in the first example the difference would have to be a fixed variable - the original difference.
If a unit should have to be reinforced again, it would probably lose the bonus of having seasoned vets. I doubt you will be tracking XP for individual components of a unit.
Just a thought. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XeroMan on 2003-01-29 09:25 ]</font>
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

hehe yay i made a topic people seem to enjoy posting in- yeah im just bored so adding another post.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”