Damn,I coulda sworn i was better than this ?! Geuss all that

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Okay as you might be able to tell from the heading,this is about troop exp.

Now I remember reading in the forum somewhere that reinforcements to a unit lower the unit overall exp.This is great, its the way it works in real life.

Now comes the questions,you knew they were coming didnt ya :smile: ?

Okay when a unit UPGRADES its equipment will it also loss unit overall experience ?
By upgrading I mean that im assuming that when we learn to make m1a3s we can replace those old m1a2s with the newer eguipment without scrapping the entire unit.
IF im wrong on this please explain how upgrades to existing units and equipment are planned :smile:

Now back to question 1: When my unit gets those shiny new m1a3s will their overall unit exp go down ??

Will units have to report to a base to get the new equipment ?

Will units gain exp by attacking and defending ?Equally so ?

Will experience go down if a unit is inactive ?

Has there been a firm decision on the ability of troops to gain exp through the use of simulators ??
I think this would be so cool !

Will the most "experienced" units get all the red haired green eyed wenches :grin: ?
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

You just knew there were going to be "Green Eyed Red Haired Serving Wenches" in there somewhere :grin:

1) When you upgrade a Unit's Equipment it currently will not lose experience. It is an advanced order to give to a unit and each unit must return to a base for a refit. Since the unit has to go to the base, and enter a short re-construction cycle, we figured that additional "training time" would allow them to keep their experience.

2) Units to gain experience by both Attack and Defense although I'm not sure if it is equally so. What you have to take into account though is how much damage they take in conflict. Since they will then automatically get replacements over time, that will lower the experience as a percentage of how many replacements the get.

3) Inactive Units will not have their "Experience" drop. Their morale might be another story!

4) Use of simulators... Not specifically, but close! You will be able to give an advanced order to a unit to train. That training can be one of several types - Alpine Warfare, Biological Warfare, Desert Warfare, Wargames, etc... They will then go to the nearest base and enter a training cycle (during this time the unit will look like a non-deployed reserve unit). Once the cycle is complete, the unit gains the benefit of the training they've had. You can interupt the training, but then you would get no benefit. So simulators aren't necessarily mentioned here, but at least one of the items in the tech tree will deal with simulators and that will make these training cycles more effective.

5) You know... I think we're going to have to put in an Easter Egg that turns all your infantry into Red Haired Green Eyed Serving Wenches. Then if your opponent is not running a coed combat army, all the men will just surrender :grin:
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Heheheh a whole new way to look at being a prisoner of war !
So what would a country do with its prisoners if they didnt want to go free when the war was over ?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

A comment about simulators... this will be listed in our tech tree. It will likley be a lower tech level or their may be Simulator Technology Level X to allow a few stages. Basic simulators will be needed to research other technologies and we may attach some build time decreases for the level of simulators a country uses to train with. I think it's safe to say that any country at tech level 80+ (equal to the US in the '80s) will be using simulators of some sort in training.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Could we possibly see something like a training upgrade for units? By this I mean the capability of a unit to get further training and experience beyond it's initial training. For example, US Army units often go to Panama and Puerto Rico for jungle training and certification. Additionally, US Marine units must be trained for MEU(SOC) deployments.

Could we see something like this where we could send a unit to be trained in jungle or desert or arctic/mountain warfare? As a bonus for the cost and time it would take to train the unit, that unit would have slightly better combat and defense modifiers when operating in the terrain it was trained for.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That is exactly what is available. Units can be trained for a specialty in either Alpine, Desert or Tropical. Units cannot be trained in more than one though, as it is assumed that the extra equipment carried is different for each specialty. Units trained in a specialty will not suffer penalties for combat in areas tagged to their specialty.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Man... what didn't you guys think of already?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well, thanks to the missiles thread, it would seem that MIRVs need some work :smile:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
guyver
Sergeant

Post by guyver »

What about urban warfare then?
Is it not posseble to train your troops in that area?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

no, that one didn't make it in. We assumed that Urban Warfare training is part of what makes up Special Forces training and didn't think it was needed...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

I disagree!!!! The army has finally begun training troops in urban warfare! Its needed badly. If anyone looks at US Peacekeeping roles in Urban areas Esp African ones they'll see exempting special forces the US was horrible at it because their troops were not trained in such tactics! It should definately be applied as a training option or given to all troops automatically as one can assume by 2010 the world has become urbanized enough that most fighting takes places in urban areas heh
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

i agree, id like to see urban warfare a seperate training.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Actually one of the last changes I made to the design before leaving for E3 was to remove "Theoretical" training and replace it with Urban Warfare Training. So... got ya covered :grin:

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”