Strykers

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Strykers

Post by Slash78 »

I found this page. It has pics of the various 'Stryker' Vehicles, plus there numerical designation.

http://www.jedsite.info/8x8afv/sierra/s ... eries.html

Of particular interest is the 105mm Howitzer version.

http://www.jedsite.info/8x8afv/sierra/s ... intro.html
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

dust off
General

Post by dust off »

strykers are soundly criticised in this report. So too are the new lighter formations.
http://www.house.gov/hasc/openingstatem ... gregor.pdf
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

There are certainly a lot of debates about the 'heavy versus light' equipment concepts.

In Canada the government decided to go with Stryker MGS in replacement of the older Leopard tanks in inventory, which on the surface seems to make a lot of sense (the Strykers can be moved by air, all we can do with the Leopards is attack coutries attached to us by ground, ie the United States - not a very likely scenario :-) )

However, a lot of opponents surfaced after the announcement, saying that Canada should maintain a heavy armoured force.

So clearly there seems to be a strong debate in the US on this point as well.

One of the fun things about SR2010 is that you can test this out for yourself! Maybe we should send a beta copy of SR2010 to the US Congress so they can decide the matter...

-- George.
krazy mattyd
Sergeant

Post by krazy mattyd »

So basically a stryker is like an LAV right. It's fast has many variants can be deployed quickly etc...
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

George Geczy wrote: One of the fun things about SR2010 is that you can test this out for yourself! Maybe we should send a beta copy of SR2010 to the US Congress so they can decide the matter...

-- George.
... Damn, so I gotta get on Congress before I get my beta :(

:D
:wink:
Missiles!! Nukes!
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

krazy mattyd wrote:So basically a stryker is like an LAV right. It's fast has many variants can be deployed quickly etc...
Yeah, the Stryker is the US name for an updated version of the General Motors LAV / LAV=III design (which was created by Mowag of Switzerland as the Piranah LAV). The Stryker is intended to be available in various formats, the most controversial of which is their "Mobile Gun System" that mounts a 105 mm gun on the thing.

(PS - I did not fact check my spellings or specs for this post, so apologies if I got something wrong)

-- George.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”