Leader traits?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Hi guys

I know this isn't exactly high priority right now, but I'd like to get a discussion going. What are the kinds of traits you'd like to see military unit leaders have? What skills would make the units they command more effective?

My initial ideas:

1. Attack (+ or - bonus when attacking)
2. Defense (+ or - bonus when defending)
3. Engineering (easier river crossings, better defense, better attacking fortifications)
4. Recon (unit can detect enemy farther)

Anything else? Should we make it more specific like Tank Warfare (bonus for attacking and defending with a tank unit) or Infiltration/Stealth (unit has a better chance of being undetected) or ASW (unit has a better chance of detecting enemy submarines)?
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

We track a lot of different traits and personality characteristics about each leader in the game, both Military and Civilian.

Heres a list...
Non Military Traits:
Politics, Age, Popularity, Charisma, Competence, Initiative, Integrity, General IQ, Economic IQ, Military IQ, Diplomatic IQ, Production IQ, Domestic Policy IQ & Political Experience.

Military Specific Traits:
Rank, Service Specialty, Leadership, Tactical IQ, Unit Specialty, Attitude, of course the ever popular Kills & lastly Military Experience.

A "Unit Specialization" is only a fraction of what will go to make each Military Leader different from another...
- David
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Thats alot of stats ,Very nice.

How many leader types will a region have ?
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

On 2002-10-04 08:56, BattleGoat wrote:
We track a lot of different traits and personality characteristics about each leader in the game, both Military and Civilian.

Heres a list...
Non Military Traits:
Politics, Age, Popularity, Charisma, Competence, Initiative, Integrity, General IQ, Economic IQ, Military IQ, Diplomatic IQ, Production IQ, Domestic Policy IQ & Political Experience.

Military Specific Traits:
Rank, Service Specialty, Leadership, Tactical IQ, Unit Specialty, Attitude, of course the ever popular Kills & lastly Military Experience.

A "Unit Specialization" is only a fraction of what will go to make each Military Leader different from another...

Wow. You guys are already way ahead of me. Hehe.

If I may, I'd like to ask some questions:

How do you rate a person's politics? 50 is middle of the road, 25 is liberal, 75 is conservative, etc?

What are examples of service specialties? Simply Army, Navy and Air Force?

I assume unit specialty means armor, infantry, airborne, surface warfare, bombers, etc.?

If possible, could we see a list of all possible traits? Or at least a working list, if it isn't finalized yet?

And will we be restricted in the number of leaders we have? Like MOO 2 only gave us 3 leaders at any given time, in People's General it was based on a random chance during combat... in SR2010 will we have enough leaders to assign to every (nearly every?) place that they can be assigned to?

Thanks again, guys
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

To answer everyone's questions...

1) How many leader types will a region have ?

That's a secret :smile: As has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum, not all information on the product is yet available for public consumption.

2) How do you rate a person's politics? 50 is middle of the road, 25 is liberal, 75 is conservative, etc?

Something like that... You might have the
numbers reversed, you should increase in number as you go from right to left :grin: and you did leave out Communist and Fascist...

3) What are examples of service specialties? Simply Army, Navy and Air Force? I assume unit specialty means armor, infantry, airborne, surface warfare, bombers, etc.?

BINGO!!! Give the Fish a Cupie Doll! Oh... Sorry we don't have Cupie Dolls... :wink:

4) If possible, could we see a list of all possible traits? Or at least a working list, if it isn't finalized yet?

That was a list of all the traits... A leader's personality will be made up of their numerical rating on all of the categories. There is a Numeric Maximum involved for both Military and Civilian stats, so it is not possible to have a "Super Leader". If they're strong in one area, it will definitely mean they are weak elsewhere.

5) And will we be restricted in the number of leaders we have? Like MOO 2 only gave us 3 leaders at any given time, in People's General it was based on a random chance during combat... in SR2010 will we have enough leaders to assign to every (nearly every?) place that they can be assigned to?

There hopefully will be no limit to the number of leaders in SR2010. As to whether there will be enough... that will likely depend on the size of the scenario. In the larger scenarios, we might re-use leaders and just have an emergency overflow of new names.
- David
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

One thing you may notice is that our leader stats system doesn't have the 'specialization' elements that you would find in, say, Panzer General 2 & 3, ie 'Bridging specialty', 'Recon specialty', etc. The 'specialty' concept was mentioned earlier in this thread, so I thought I would raise it here.

Does anyone think such specific capabilities are of any interest? Should, for instance, a leader be able to have a 'Recon expert' ability that would increase Line of sight but not really affect other attributes?

Or is this unnecessary because it can be duplicated using the stats; for instance, a leader with a Recon unit type specialty, with high competence and good experience, will automatically gain the increased LOS, and no special flag is needed.

Thoughts?

-- George.

PS - David got confused, lower numbers are left-wing, higher numbers are right wing. ie, left to right...
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

As long as there is a bonus of some kind, I'm happy. Will there be an easy way to tell what bonuses a leader has? Or what his overall skill level is?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Can leaders be lost ?Killed ,captured,run away with their cute red headed-green eyed-18Y.O. personal aids ,etc.. ?
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

On 2002-10-05 20:19, Hellfish6 wrote:
As long as there is a bonus of some kind, I'm happy. Will there be an easy way to tell what bonuses a leader has? Or what his overall skill level is?
To see what specialties a leader has, you will have to go to his profile (accessed through the unit screen). It will be possible to browse through all your leaders as well.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Oh yeah...

Leaders can be killed. We haven't worked out yet how we're handling "Captures".

Let me think about that cute red headed-green eyed-18Y.O. personal aid for a while :smile: Ooops... my wife's upstairs. Gotta go :grin:
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Does this mean our leaders can date their interns ?
LOL
guyver
Sergeant

Post by guyver »

What about defections?
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

On 2002-10-13 14:35, tkobo wrote:
Does this mean our leaders can date their interns ?
LOL
Why not? All the great leaders do... :razz:
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

What about defections?
Leaders by themselves will not defect - there has been talk about units defecting and joining another player, possibly if your military and domestic approval ratings are too low, but I'm not sure where we'll go with this.

It's possible it will be put in to the game, though we're still thinking on this one.

-- George.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”