will ambushes be possible ?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Will units be able to hide and avoid detection enough to spring an ambush when an enemy unit enters the hex its hiding in ?
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

We're working on it... It is possible that if a unit has a low enough profile, that you would not see them until you are entering the same hex as them.

Other factors, such as terrain, will also affect line of sight.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

What I was first thinking about is that units assigned to Garrison should usually have a lower profile. Perhaps it would be difficult to see if the upgrade you're attacking is garrisoned or not until you've fully commited to the attack...?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I would think a garrisoned unit would be easier to spot.Dug-in positions ,routine patrols,fences,spot lights,etc.. would make it easier to know that they were there.

The special forces units I would think should be able to perform ambushes very well.

Would it be possible to make the current status of a unit also add to the ambush possibilty?

Units that are in retreat,out of supply,low on morale,etc.. should be easier to ambush right ?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I don't follow the status comment...

As far as the retreating units, they already suffer a massive penalty. I don't think they would be easier to ambush, the ambush would just be more effective. A successful ambush is usually more depending on the attacker than the defender.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

My thoughts were that units forced to flee their position often go where they can, not where they want to, and not as carefully as they would like.
Thus they would not have the time to scout ahead properly and would be moving faster than they would probably normally move on top of that, in their haste not to get caught by the unit they are fleeing from.

Also units low on supplies might not have the gear they would normally use to avoid ambushes (all out ot batteries for their nightvision gear,no binoculars,etc..).
Plus being low on food (hungry and tired) makes one less effective so they might be too busy being miserable to do their normal routine.And if they are low on ammo they probably wouldnt send out as many patrols for risk of using ammo in unnecessary encounters.Less patrols would make them easier to suprise/ambush.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkobo on 2002-09-24 06:58 ]</font>

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”