Do Tanks have a future?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Of course, the Germans tried this in WWII with their 'Maus' ("mouse") design of 1943/44, which weighed about 188 tons and was so heavy that it couldn't use most bridges. With a normal travelling speed of 13 km/h, it wasn't exactly going to rush to the front lines...

In the modern area certainly lighter, transportable tanks are the design target. As the US has often discovered, those pesky little wars it fights are almost always a long trip away from where all its tanks are stored. "Rapid Response" is not the keyword for a battalion of M1 Abrams tanks based in Kentucky.

But if any of you would like to see a heavy-supertank future design in the equipment file, just come up with some reasonable specs and I'm sure Chris would be happy to oblige :smile:

-- George.
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

I heard about the big German tanks. They pretty much stuck 'em on a hill and dared the allies to take a shot at them. Mobile weapon emplacements, with the term mobile being applied loosely.
In today's world they don't have much place in the US arsenal because they would have to be shipped overseas. If the US were splintered...
I guess it's the same story as the BB, missiles make the really big units counter-productive. Tying up all those resources and manpower in one package is asking for a world of hurt.
Hmmm, proivde reasonable specs? Can you give an outline on what you want? ie: Weight/ dimensions/ power plant/ armament/ crew/ equipment/ speed/ etc...?

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”