First attempt at an FAQ

The Latest News and Information from BattleGoat Studios

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

One of our forum users complied a good comprehensive list of questions so I am posting the Q&As here since others might find it useful.

On 2004-04-20 06:04, MaxRiga wrote:

GAME PLAY
1-can I play on world map?
Yes. There is intention of 2 world maps. One with the world split into 16 regions to fit the campaign storyline. On this map however you are playing as a “United Africa” or “Conquered North America” so it has little to do with the world as it is today. The second version of the map would have 16 player regions and 15 AI regions with all remaining areas of the world as “World Market”. Full details of this map have not been decided.
2-does the scenario has the goal?
Depends on the scenario. Also depends if you are playing a Scenario, a Campaign or a Mission map. Mission maps have very distinct goals. Scenarios usually do not have goals. Campaign maps may have “sub-goals” but the Campaign goal of becoming Supreme Ruler by any means necessary is the underlying goal at all times.
3-Can I play real country or I play only "Victoria", "N. California" etc states i saw on your screenshots?
Again, depends on the country and the map. Many countries can be played as a united country at some point in the game.
4-is it real time playing or move based game? If time, can I switch the speed?
The game will support both real time and turn based gameplay. In real time speed options exist for pause/slow/normal/fast. For high end systems the existing speeds can be doubled. In turn based mode, turn resolution is simultaneous
5-Can I edit my own scenarios? maps? names of countries, leaders etc?
The Map editor will be included in the release version but this will only be able to make Scenario maps. Campaign and Mission maps will be exclusive to the game.
6-Can I win if my country has no nature resources? Or only goal is getting my borders wider?
The Goal depends on the map but you will often find that a number of resources will need to be purchased from the World Market or other players. Alternatively, conservation or synthetics can be used to meet demands. Expanding borders is however an effective way of “gathering resources”
7- Am I occupying land step by step, city by city or how?
Although not shown by default, the map is hex based. Hexes can contain one element (city, base, industry) and some elements cannot be built directly adjacent to each other. Land is conquered hex by hex.

AI
1-Is the AI smart in this game? :smile:
The AI is a work in progress so this is hard to answer. What am I going to say? It’s not like we would set out to design a stupid AI. I suppose if our AI is as smart as our Beta is stable we should be unsurpassed. :smile:
2-does AI build up for random goals or just to finally buy more units then I have?
AI players will have various agendas that will affect the actions they take.
3-does AI attack you without reasons?
Not generally. AIs with a “vengeance” agenda will however act in very unpredictable fashion.
4-does AI understand that it can influence you with treaties/alliances/trade ???
Absolutely. AI diplomacy is not yet implemented
5-does AI understand that I can influence AI by treatises/alliances/trade ???
Yes, this will work both ways.
6-does AI understand that can support your weak neighbor to make it stronger against you?
This is the design...
7-does AI ask u to ally against other country because of you geographic placements or other benefits?
The AI will look to make alliances when it seems beneficial to the AI. Don’t expect any alliance offers from “Conquest” agenda AIs

TRADE
1-does SR2010 have trading units and for what?
Yes, and for anything. Players can trade units with other player for any other trade commodity, from cash to treaties to land and more. Other than this, players can also sell units directly to the WM for a value decided by the WM. Sometimes this will be worthwhile, depending on the equipment and WM opinion
2-can I trade and upgrade these traded units?
Units can be traded again and again but upgrading the units will depend on if you have researched the upgrade or if there is even an upgrade of the unit available. Not all units can be upgraded.
3-can I produce materials or just mining?
Production commodities are in eleven categories including ore, coal, military goods and others
4-can I produce materials from buying naturals?
Industrial goods require oil, coal, ore and electricity. Many regions run short on at least on of these and are forced to buy their raw materials.
5-do players build infrastructure (roads, railroads etc) and what for?
Yes, both roads and rails can be built to extend the supply model. Supply affects both industry output and unit refuel/reload times. Increasing supply can have a major effect on industries. Building the roads/rails is actually not enough. Investment in social infrastructure must also be maintained or roads and rails fall into disuse and supply deteriorates. Roads also have the advantage of making certain terrain types more passable for units
6-does SR2010 have embargos? Does the AI understand not to use it against friends unless necessary?
Yes, Embargos can be gotten through votes on the World Market. The AI will understand that embargos will have diplomatic consequences.
7-is there weapon/ethnology buy and sell trade? Can I order to build for me or i just buy if it's already done?
Yes, technologies and unit designs can be traded. Designs that others know are public knowledge so can be requested diplomatically but their list of units is secret so you would need to wait to be offered units. The World Market will also offer to sell units and designs at times and an increase in offers can be requested.

TEHNOLOGY
1-what do I need to get research/how do I get faster research
Research is calculated based on the number of research centers a player has and how much is being invested. Some research potential is also provided from the player’s capital. Investment is limited by the number of research centers.
2-How will one research item affect another (CL: I think this is what was being asked...?)
None of the technologies directly affect each other but many technologies are prerequisites for later technologies. Before certain units can be researched there may be technologies in the military or transportation category that are needed first.
3-does it only cost money to research or do I need something else (like educated profs, number of universities etc)
Money is the prime force for research. There is also a “research efficiency” that is affected by a few other issues including literacy levels so a healthier society should research faster.

WEAPON and ARMY
1-will I be able to make/build new models (like t-81, t-82, t-83 etc) (how if yes)
The equipment file contains over 2000 unique units already and more are being added. Countries that produce stuff will be able to build these from day one. New models can be researched but players cannot design their own units. Once new models are discovered, any of the previous design can be sent back into construction to be upgraded.
2-will I be able to buy technology for building units (like Abrams to build it in my country) from other countries
Yes, but better units will not come up very commonly. You can only accept/reject what is offered. You cannot request from the WM, only from other players.
3-will I be able "modernize" old units? (Make t-72 better then t-80)
No, a T-80 will always be better than a T-72, though an experienced T-72 battalion may be able to beat an untested T-80 battalion.
4-will I be able present my units/technologies to other countries?
Yes, as per the trades
5-will I be able to make armies of many units to make it stronger or like in CIV - 1 unit 1 movement?
No, unit hierarchy has not been incorporated into this version of the Supreme Ruler engine. Ctrl+# groups are supported.
6-do we have satellites and what are they for (for ex. in SP game I didn't understand why they are upgrading if it does nothing!? )
Satellites are in the game though currently not implemented. More details will be available later though spotting and missile defense will likely be major factors for satellites
7-do we have radars and anti radars or I can see units of enemies as in any strategy game ( like AOE, CIV, etc )
There is a “fog of war” effect used in the game but line of sight is calculated based on unit spotting distance and spotting strength compared against opposing unit stealth strength. It is possible to see some ships from 300+km away and it is also possible to be 2 hexes away from Special Forces in forests and never see them.

DIPLOMACY
1-can i change my government type ( democracy, communism etc ) and what it does for my country
Not during gameplay. At key points of a campaign or before launching a scenario it will be possible to change your gov type. Dictatorship, Communist and Democracy are support with limited options for Monarchy. Each gov type has an effect on domestic approval, military approval, production and demand.
2-will my ministers influence my relationships with other countries.
Not directly. The diplomacy minister will work towards goals you give him that can include improving relations.
3-can I turn over old regime in other countries to make it my puppet?
Really regions can only be conquered. The closest you can get to a “puppet” is that by funding destabilization activities in an opposing country you can cause an internal revolt. A new leader may be more “influenced” by you if they come to power with your money.
4-do agreements have time limits or not?
Agreements, once signed, are held until one or both parties break the agreement. Offers sent to players will have expiry dates set by the person sending the offer.
5- Can agreements be "influenced" by researched units or technologies? ( like AI sees what I have this why it makes peace )
That is certainly in the design. If you are at war with someone and suddenly develop nuclear weapons it would be very likely you would begin receiving diplomatic messages from the player.
6-can I make embargos
Embargos are a WM vote that can be called by any member against any other region. Whether the vote is successful will depend on diplomatic conditions. All product trade goes through the WM so embargos cannot be done without WM support.
7- will embargo, alliance with enemy of my friend makes him unhappy toward to me?
The AI players will look at everything all players do and factor their actions into decisions they make. Yes, actions will have effects.
8-can i speak with leader any time I wish I have to book conversation?
AI players can only be contacted diplomatically. Human players can be spoken to with chat or e-mailed in game at any time.

MULTIPLAYER
1-will you have your own 24 hours working server or i will be able to play via GameSpy ( or other program)?
There will not be a permanent server hosting multiplayer games. Some sort of matchmaking service like Gamespy will be supported though which service will be used has not been decided.
2-will it TERRIBLY lag as multiplayer in CIV ?
We have been able to have lag free games from North America to Australia but have also seen lag in games played from two locations in our own city. Lag in game will be entirely Internet issues, not game issues. Current betas support this.

OTHER
1-can I change my colors?
Undecided
2-can i change my flags/faces/army emblems
Minister pictures can be easily replaced. No flags or Emblems currently supported.
3-do we have any not military units? what it's for?
Not really, I suppose even our supply truck is a “military unit”. Some units certainly cannot attack since their purpose is support, supply, transportation or spotting.
4-will you have editor and will i be able to use my maps in multiplayer?
Maps created in the map editor will be able to be distributed to other players. The game lobby design calls for maps to be transmitted directly when connected for multiplayer
5-will I be able name my nation in editor by my self (if I really don't want to play N. California state or Paris!)
There has been some concern that this will cause confusion when playing against others if you rename “France” to “Germany” but people making their own maps will be able to set everything themselves right down to the region name.

Return to “News”