Battlegroup leaders version 0.1104

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Battlegroup leaders version 0.1104

Post by Balthagor »

Battlegroups in SR2030 can now be assigned a leader. From the list of battlegroups, select a group. Below the list is an option to assign the leader.

Current effects for assigning a leader:
  • When you select the group, you are given the path line preview for only the leader. The target move locations for all units in the group are shown on the map, but the "children" only show a path line to the leader.
  • The battlegroup will use formation move, regardless of your formation move setting for selected units.
  • -- Children of the group can still be individually selected and give individual orders to change to group's formation.
  • Elastic banding the leader will add the entire group as selected units
We have some design notes on how we might further expand this system in the future, but we would appreciate testing on this. How do groups with leaders interact with regular groups and non-grouped units when issuing orders? Does the system work as described? Does this system introduce any kind of confusion? What more feedback should/could be provided?

Thanks
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Battlegroup leaders version 0.1104

Post by Uriens »

Did some testing with battlegroup leaders and there are some things i'd like to point out:
1) Assigning battlegroup leader definitely needs a way to unassign it. Since it can't be toggled you get stuck with its specific behavior ... permanently. I have tried removing leader from battlegroup, and everything i could think of aside from scrapping it, but the unit seems to be considered battlegroup leader no matter what. Had to reload save from before i did assignment to restore battlegroups usual behaviour.

2) I actually don't see any benefit from using this feature. We already have formation move (shorcut F) and units pointing out to leader INSTEAD of their target location doesn't seem to be useful at all. From what i've seen, it only REMOVES options from player (can't see destination, can't toggle formation move) and everything that it features already exist in game in same or better form.

However i do like the train of thought here with attempt to make battlegroups with leader units. Just don't see any usefulness on how its currently implemented.
My suggestion is to add command units (they actually exist IRL) and have them as a group leaders. Those units are used for electronic surveillance, countermeasures and communications. Something like mobile HQ's. Having one command unit as leader could give a small boost in battlegroup efficiency and killing enemy units and capturing cities by a battlegroup units could increase its experience slightly (which leads to bigger boosts). Ofc, AI needs to be able to create battlegroups and assign leaders to them as well.
AVP
Lieutenant

Post by AVP »

Uriens wrote: Jun 18 2023 Did some testing with battlegroup leaders and there are some things i'd like to point out:
1) Assigning battlegroup leader definitely needs a way to unassign it. Since it can't be toggled you get stuck with its specific behavior ... permanently. I have tried removing leader from battlegroup, and everything i could think of aside from scrapping it, but the unit seems to be considered battlegroup leader no matter what. Had to reload save from before i did assignment to restore battlegroups usual behaviour.

2) I actually don't see any benefit from using this feature. We already have formation move (shorcut F) and units pointing out to leader INSTEAD of their target location doesn't seem to be useful at all. From what i've seen, it only REMOVES options from player (can't see destination, can't toggle formation move) and everything that it features already exist in game in same or better form.

However i do like the train of thought here with attempt to make battlegroups with leader units. Just don't see any usefulness on how its currently implemented.
My suggestion is to add command units (they actually exist IRL) and have them as a group leaders. Those units are used for electronic surveillance, countermeasures and communications. Something like mobile HQ's. Having one command unit as leader could give a small boost in battlegroup efficiency and killing enemy units and capturing cities by a battlegroup units could increase its experience slightly (which leads to bigger boosts). Ofc, AI needs to be able to create battlegroups and assign leaders to them as well.
Uriens, I agree. I think you might also find this suggestion thread on Battlegroup leaders an interesting read.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=32984
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks for the feedback.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Recent points brought up;
  • Can't remove leader without remaking the group
  • Icon to indicate group leader not in the unit's popup
Ticket 35057
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Oh, actually, if you select "Assign Leader" and pick the current leader, they are removed as leader. More work planned on this feature...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Furthermore, if you select a BG in the battlegroup manager popup (accessible from the Command dept) you can remove the leader from there.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Issues and Support (Formerly Beta Testing)”