Force Projection, AI unit allocation

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

stuguy909
Colonel
Human: Yes

Force Projection, AI unit allocation

Post by stuguy909 »

One of the issues with SR 2020 was AI unit management and force projection. To elaborate on how to better utilize bases to project power and create basic rules for AI army manager, I present some simple photos and basic programming concepts.

Here is a mock coast that resembles Libya and Tunisia:

The two circles are bases or cities with B, barracks, P, port, and AF, air field. I drew a lime green line kind of going around the Libyan base. This is representative of the AI manager's zone of control for that barracks. It will prioritize protecting anything important in that zone, like resources, population centers, or most importantly, potential conflict zones. Notice the border of fake Libya and Tunisia. The Barracks sees that it overlaps a border, more importantly, it can potentially overlap a rival barracks zone of influence. The AI unit manager should take into account what the enemy nation has in its inventory, like a CIA blue book of units. Divide those counts by the amount of barracks the enemy has, and you potentially have a unit requirement to station in the barracks as reserve in the event war breaks out.

The similar concept applies to ports. We can see that fake Libya and fake Tunisia has a zone overlap. Both nations' unit managers should prioritize making sure it has enough units to rush into the conflict zone in the event of war. If Fake Tunisia only has one port, a small economy and cannot raise a large enough navy through equipment purchases, then it should attempt to increase the air force, acquire anti-naval missiles, or artillery. An attempt should be made to increase the overall military naval fighting ability and keep those units stationed near the conflict zones. In our example, the air base will likely be able to overlap not only the naval conflict zone, but the land conflict zone, and perhaps even the Fake Libyan city. Thus, the AI unit manager would need to prioritize which zones are a bigger threat and acquire air platforms in order of priority. Air should always take priority, and AA and fighters should always be desirable in order to take over the skies. However, in the event fake Libya has a massive tank force, the AI should make sure it acquires or upgrades units with more AT capability.

Fake Tunisia should also invest money by building defense bases on the border with fake Libya where key supply points exist. Defense bases and garrisons have always been a cheap alternative to fielding large land armies. To date, the AI has no real mechanism of sensing where it should invest in defensive locations. As you can see, by drawing force projection radius around a base, we can find where there are overlaps and create an order of operations for the AI unit managers to make investments and send units to keep in reserve.

Key take aways:
  • Draw force project radius around bases
  • Identify overlaps, like borders, enemy force projection zones, and enemy cities / bases
  • Each base should at a minimum, project the nation's unit count divided by base type count. This is a good starting point for the AI unit manager to set deployment priorities against rivals
  • Weak AI should invest in defensive structures on borders with meaner rivals, primarily in supply zones inside of the rival force projection zone
  • When conflict breaks out, the AI should deploy the reserve units from those nearby bases and send to conflict zones, points of interest, and of course, counter appropriate targets, AT vs tanks, for example
  • barracks, supply depots, ports, and air bases, should all be key instruments for the AI unit manager to project force.
  • AI should no longer care about stealing border tiles. End the current border system, it is not good.
  • AI should not manage units individually, but manage from bases in the base army group
  • Orders should be given to units from the base's perspective. Base has a priority list, and mostly aims to neutralize all enemy bases / nodes, in it's zone of influence. This creates a domino effect. Take all bases, you win.
  • If unit manager detects that a base has no threats, but other bases do have threats, non threatened bases should order unit transfer to bases that need units. This is good for conquest, as the front will move naturally as the AI takes over enemy bases.
  • At war threats should be higher priority over potential at peace threats. However, there should be a setting to override danger levels of a target nation to ensure that some borders keep units. In general, the AI should not be concerned with friendly nations, but focus deployements on nations with high anger and casus beli.
  • Spies. You guys want to overhaul spies. Allow AI spy missions to reveal unit counts and potential AI unit manager plans for a region. AI unit managers should benefit by getting specific unit counts and diplomatic plans, keeping precise quantities of counter forces and building up defenses on the border. An expectation for a base should be that it contains no more than the nation's unit count divided by base count. However, if the base is far beyond this, then the observing AI should be able to run a check list that is best suited for defending an invasion from those conflict zones.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Force Projection, AI unit allocation

Post by Balthagor »

This will need a longer read at some point, but I've learned over the years chatting with our programming team that "zones" are not feasible. The way our engine and map works, adjacent hex isn't hard to check, but 2 hexes out is logarithmically more intense to ready. Scanning hexes for stuff is mathematically intense.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
stuguy909
Colonel

Post by stuguy909 »

Let's talk brother. We aren't scanning hexes. We are restructuring your "nodes" and creating a better node traversal network over the hex based multi-dimensional array that is a hex board. When I say better, I mean, we process...less ****. Which is why I'd love to talk with you about how the AI manager should do much less... but it's more? More value. PM me and I'll shoot you my latest contact stuff.

edit:
i don't want to sound like I'm giving a sales pitch. The alternative was sounding like I am insulting you because of things I learned about the programming industry over the last 10 years I have been a developer. edit. You guys are good people. I like your game. I am a fan and have been since 05'. I have CD copies of SR 2020 and gave copies of cold war to friends. The gripe I have is: from that point... trend setting has been absent from this organization.
Last edited by stuguy909 on Feb 17 2023, edited 2 times in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I'm the wrong guy to talk to, all my info is second hand. In 20 years, I've never written a line of code.

I'll send your suggestion through the usual review, we'll see if there's something we can use from this that fits in the design.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
stuguy909
Colonel

Post by stuguy909 »

I just wanted to add. From playing the game for nearly 20 years and learning code for over 11, and being in IT for over 20. Bro. I think the 180+ AI unit managers are doing too much. We have to condense what they do. We have to reduce the scans. We have to condense the work. As a player, and a coder, it's obvious to me. Do less. We want better UI, we want, better organization. So, the AI controls need to do less nonsense. A great way to relieve the lack of multi-processing, is to include it, and, what's more, not calculate so much nonsense, and have the unit manager, work so hard. It does dumb. The Unit manager, is, dumb. It needs to not send units out of reserves to do random. AI unit manager needs to evaluate nations, not tiles. It needs to gather, "the zones", which are usually pre-determined, not calculated every second. If you are calculating zones or tile conditions every second...this is a problem. Boy...we need to talk.
stuguy909
Colonel

Post by stuguy909 »

The current AI unit manager in the game uses a combination of A* and Dijkstra algorithms to route units from one location to another, allowing it to navigate the vast 100,000+ hexes on the world map. However, this routing is based purely on mathematical calculations and doesn't take into account strategic advisement. As a result, the AI unit manager ends up scanning many hexes unnecessarily, leading to inefficiency.

To address this issue, I propose utilizing a node tree by pre-processing base nodes and creating a more digestible route tree for the unit manager. This would enable more efficient conflict threat response and ensure that the local garrison has the necessary resources to respond to localized threats without having to scan a significant number of hexes.

By implementing linked lists, nodes, and binary search algorithms, we can simplify the process of managing units in the game and make it more efficient. This would lead to a more enjoyable and polished gaming experience for players.

https://imgur.com/a/MGB03S8.png
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I don't understand any of that, but I'll pass along the recommendation. Thanks for the input.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Suggestions - 2030”