AI modding

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Hullu Hevonen
General

AI modding

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Long time no se, the forum has changed! I remember that the reason why I stopped playing (not the reason why I stopping modding, though) the game was because I could beat it with any country in almost anyway to sunday, multiplayer gave some extra life to it, but the base issue remained the same. The AI, I understand that this is a difficult topic to tackle, so I was wondering, is there a chance to make it more open to modding? If memory serves it was the AIparams file, had essentially a priority list of different things for different scenarios that the AI would react to, you could change with what equipment the AI reacted, but not the reaction itself. An experienced player could thus goat/trick the AI to attack. I remember using a tactic of invading 1 hex with a 7 unit stack, then retreating back into my defensive line and just destroyed the response force, then repeat, until the AI essentially runs out of units or similar. While at the outset the AI may have had superior forces. Would have been nice to have had the ability to mod even those decisions the AI made.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: AI modding

Post by Balthagor »

Sorry that it took so long to reply to this thread, but it's a complex topic and I didn't want to give information until I was more confident about the direction of our implementation. Also, I'm not a programmer, so my knowledge of this is all "second hand". As I look at where we are at in development, I see a few significant AI changes from SRU to SR2030. I'm only going to discuss them broadly.

Pathing
We've done a YouTube video on this and it's still in progress. The theaters are being redrawn and a some specific "Special Naval Transit Hexes" now have in game use/don't use controls. These pathing and transit elements are moddable and controlled by a combination of data in the theaters.csv and the WMData.csv files.

AI Build Sequence
How the AI evaluates what to build was totally rebuilt during development for Galactic Ruler. Those improvements are carried overs to SR2030.

Building Infrastructure
The AI now knows how to build roads/rails. The minister priority for infrastructure is a key trigger for this.

AI triggers and responses
The AI parameters file has been discussed many times of course, and it includes many new data sets that affect AI behaviour. We've made improvements to things like how it decides quantities of troops to send to hotspots it creates and even done work to set thresholds at which the AI should turn off autobuild (not build forever). These changes are mostly in the WMData file and there's lots of notes about this on the SupremeWiki already. The data structure for a lot of this is moddable in the AIParams.csv. There might be some WMData that would affect this, final implementation is ongoing.

Broadly speaking, these are some of the big areas of focus we had for AI improvement.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Sorry, I'm tempted to join in ;)
Balthagor wrote: Apr 06 2023
Pathing
We've done a YouTube video on this and it's still in progress. The theaters are being redrawn and a some specific "Special Naval Transit Hexes" now have in game use/don't use controls. These pathing and transit elements are moddable and controlled by a combination of data in the theaters.csv and the WMData.csv files.
What about pathing through no supply hexes which resulted in hundreds of AI units hopelessly stranded in deserts, tundras or other unpopulated and unimportant areas?
AI Build Sequence
How the AI evaluates what to build was totally rebuilt during development for Galactic Ruler. Those improvements are carried overs to SR2030.
Does it mean that it will now build wider variety of units? E.G. Tiger ,Panthers and PzIVH tanks at the same time? Battleships and cruisers and not battleships only?
Building Infrastructure
The AI now knows how to build roads/rails. The minister priority for infrastructure is a key trigger for this.
What about bridges and repairing destroyed bridges? AI never reapired bridges. What about airports? AI tended only to build expensive air bases (along with aircraft production facilities), but never smaller airfields where they were needed to support air operation (near the borders, near the contested areas...).
Broadly speaking, these are some of the big areas of focus we had for AI improvement.
Fingers crossed! Keep the great job!
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We don't know the answers to most of these questions until more testing is done and we get more feedback.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Suggestions - 2030”