[IMPLEMENTED] PUBLIC POLL - Renaming Nations, Hexes, and Units in MP

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Should you be able to rename your nation, hexes, and units in MP AND have them visible to others?

YES
95%
NO
5%

Total votes: 22
AVP
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

[IMPLEMENTED] PUBLIC POLL - Renaming Nations, Hexes, and Units in MP

Post by AVP »

Please vote in this community poll

Question: Should you be able to rename your nation, hexes, and units in multiplayer games and have those changes visible to other players?

Additionally, there should be event options created by the developers to allow modders to force rename hexes and nations. E.g. Turkey to Turkiye, Zaire to Democratic Rep. of Congo, Bombay to Mumbai, etc.

Such a minor addition would be a much-welcomed improvement to MP gameplay.

Background:

A public renaming feature in Supreme Ruler multiplayer games does not exist currently, however, this feature has existed in many other strategy games for almost two decades plus and it is a common feature in nearly every strategy game released today.

List of games released in 2010 or prior which include this feature in multiplayer:

Making History II: The War of the World (2010)
Victoria II (2010)
Sid Meier's Civilization V (2010)
Anno 1404: Dawn of Discovery (2009)
Hearts of Iron III (2009)
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization (2008)
Commander: Napoleon at War (2008)
Europa Universalis III (2007)
Commander: Europe at War (2007)
Anno 1701 (2006)
Hearts of Iron II (2005)
Sid Meier's Civilization IV (2005)
Rise of Nations (2003)
Sid Meier's Civilization III (2001)
Sid Meier's Civilization II (1998)
Last edited by AVP on May 31 2023, edited 2 times in total.
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Re: PUBLIC POLL - Renaming Nations, Hexes, and Units in MP

Post by Traslogan »

Quick note that you can already rename all this in SRU it's just that it doesn't show to others in multiplayer and if you do it in MP and aren't the host and ever have to resync to the host's save then you've lost all your custom names too. (It isn't always that obvious on how to rename though, I admit, often it's quite tucked away deep in the UI)

The system is basically already there for singleplayer just that it would be great to see it in multiplayer properly.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Traslogan wrote: Oct 13 2022 Quick note that you can already rename all this in SRU it's just that it doesn't show to others in multiplayer and if you do it in MP and aren't the host and ever have to resync to the host's save then you've lost all your custom names too. (It isn't always that obvious on how to rename though, I admit, often it's quite tucked away deep in the UI)

The system is basically already there for singleplayer just that it would be great to see it in multiplayer properly.
renaming hex in MP?

I know you can rename the country/region but not the hex..

Anyway, if you wanna rename the region/country in MP...
Do on the computer you want to rename...
save..
delete save on client computer
now the client will copy the file from host computer and that one has the renamed..

So you can rename in MP as well.. but not the hex.. afaik
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
AVP
Lieutenant

Post by AVP »

Anyway, if you wanna rename the region/country in MP...
Do on the computer you want to rename...
save..
delete save on client computer
now the client will copy the file from host computer and that one has the renamed..

So you can rename in MP as well.. but not the hex.. afaik

Right, but the point here is that someone should not need to do this. You should be able to rename a unit and have all see those changes instantaneously. The list of strategy games since 2010 that had a working feature like this is above. It sounds like this is a feature that never made it high enough on the to-do list for BG to consider implementing. It's nearly 2023 and improving the MP gameplay should be higher on the priorities list for this next title. And, the poll seems to suggest other players agree.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Ticket 31853
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Noticed this comment in another thread;
SGTscuba wrote: Oct 04 2022
AVP wrote: Oct 03 2022 ... and Battlegoats, PLEASE also include the ability to rename units (and hexes + nations) in MP where others can see the changes. Nothing is more awkward than the Argentine fleet going to war against the British with warships using the prefix USS instead of ARA.
Yes, it should get around the treaty issues and that is the intention as this is what often happens IRL.

I'd even go for them just erasing the ships name and giving it something generic when transferred.
Clearing names would be easier...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
AVP
Lieutenant

Post by AVP »

Balthagor wrote: Nov 22 2022
I hear what you’re saying. Clearing names is certainly a sufficient solution in addressing units being bought and sold via the Global Arms Market mechanic, but it still leaves out the ability for players to rename units, hexes, or region names in a MP game.

For example, let’s say I’d like to rename my region after either a regime change event or following some land conquest. Right now, I could do that but everyone playing with me could not see those changes nor would those changes saved if I was working off of the another player’s save. Similarly, unit name changes too cannot be saved. So if you start up the Cold War scenario and start with a pretty impressive OOB at the start, but good luck adding another marine fighter squadron to your force using the same nomenclature. Even if I wanted to keep the organization provided at start, I couldn’t. You can’t upgrade VMF-212 to more modern aircraft because once their scrapped or sold, that’s it for that unit designation.

Also, logically, this as a lower priority wishlist item makes sense to me. It’s an aesthetic request that doesn’t affect the core gameplay (which is solid). However, with this feature present in nearly every grand strategy title today and MP games of SR becoming more common than ever,
I’m surprised a suggestion like this hasn’t percolated up the priorities list already.

This is not to say that I wouldn’t welcome a feature that clears names of units once bought or sold, I would. I figure since SR30 will add more localized regional identities, allowing players to break up nations to create more independent or subjugated states on the map, adding the ability give a region a custom name in MP makes this a natural addition. I’m sure someone else would agree; being able to establish a new government and name a recently conquered territory something like the “Canadian Adirondack Territory” would be pretty neat.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Balthagor wrote: Nov 22 2022 Noticed this comment in another thread;
SGTscuba wrote: Oct 04 2022
AVP wrote: Oct 03 2022 ... and Battlegoats, PLEASE also include the ability to rename units (and hexes + nations) in MP where others can see the changes. Nothing is more awkward than the Argentine fleet going to war against the British with warships using the prefix USS instead of ARA.
Yes, it should get around the treaty issues and that is the intention as this is what often happens IRL.

I'd even go for them just erasing the ships name and giving it something generic when transferred.
Actually sounds like a good start, even for SP.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
AVP
Lieutenant

Post by AVP »

Bumping this up.
AVP
Lieutenant

Post by AVP »

Bump.
AVP
Lieutenant

Post by AVP »

Again, bumping this up. Chris, please advise if BG decides to implement this; I will close the poll and stop replying to it.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well the poll has only caught the attention of 16 ppl so this doesn't really qualify as a big community request at this time. You could try bumping it again the week the game releases to see if the excitement at launch gets it more attention. We have not moved forward on this feature as of this time.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
AVP
Lieutenant

Post by AVP »

Balthagor wrote: May 08 2023 Well the poll has only caught the attention of 16 ppl so this doesn't really qualify as a big community request at this time. You could try bumping it again the week the game releases to see if the excitement at launch gets it more attention. We have not moved forward on this feature as of this time.
Chris, understood, but I'd disagree with that characterization of this poll and urge reconsideration of implementation before launch.

This post has received more community engagement than other implemented community ideas for SR30, notably SUT (I count 9 separate users engaged, excluding yourself). This poll has received more respondents than most other polls on the forum, and after only a cursory glance I fail to find a poll with the same amount of engagement anywhere on the user suggestion forums going back to SRU, save for this one (viewtopic.php?f=70&t=23183). However, it's uncertain how many unique respondents participated in that 2014 poll, as only total votes are cast and one could vote more than once.

How many participants are you looking for to have the issue seriously raised?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I can't give a fixed number, there are other factors than just views and votes.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

We didn't tell Chris, but while he was sick last week this was actually completed.

Nations and Cities/hexes can be renamed and the changes are transmitted in multiplayer. Additionally, regions can change flags now too.

Let the multiplayer trolling begin.

I don't think this applies to the changing of unit names though - traditionally the display of units for other regions is shown differently than your own, you only see the equipment type and not the battalion name, so I don't think unit name changes will show up to other players.

-- George.

Return to “Suggestions - 2030”