Adaptive unit strength

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Adaptive unit strength

Post by mrgenie »

We see in modern times - to stay with 2030 scenario - how strong infantry can be in defensive situations.

Look at the Ukraine - how the Ukrainian military with mostly infantry defends their country - causing mass destruction to the 2nd strongest army in the world, literally butchering them..

Now I understand with infantry you can't invade a country - you need mech infantry and huge supplies and everything and APC etc to invade..

but in defense, the Ukraine has shown us how strong even regular infantry is with defending your own lands..

Obviously no one is walking 250km into enemy territory with a Javelin, Panzerfaust, or similar. Infantry on foot can't do that.

But in defensive - as the Ukraine shows - it's no problem using your own roads, railroads to deploy these small hand-shoulder arms anywhere on the battlefield inside your own country.

As such - with adaptive i mean..

assume a modern day infantry has a basic strength of 25/18/25 in the game (I just made up these numbers - because it's about the analogy)
now these are then the basic attack values for the infantry outside your own lands. but when you're inside your own lands..
Given javelins, etc.. the strength becomes 75/54/75 in defensive situations on your own lands..

now the increase in strength whether it's factor 3 or 2 or even just 50% more (factor 1.5) that's debatable - what I mean is in the Ukraine we see infantry in defensive situations inside your own country - is a lot better - simply because infantry can supply itself much better with heavier weapons without complex logistics since it's their homeland and thus what a soldier can carry or even drive with his own car in his own country - is a lot different as invading someone else's' backyard.

So not just static values for units.. let allow us users - or modders - that we can vary the strength of units depending on different situations..
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
evildari
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: Adaptive unit strength

Post by evildari »

mrgenie wrote: Sep 28 2022 We see in modern times - to stay with 2030 scenario - how strong infantry can be in defensive situations.

Look at the Ukraine - how the Ukrainian military with mostly infantry defends their country - causing mass destruction to the 2nd strongest army in the world, literally butchering them..

no need to make things artificial stronger - there is already the slider for training and maintenance and the other for salaries (cant confirm if that also increases effectiveness - but at least availability of reserve manpower)

notice the (almost) recent bad examples - kuwait defenders vs iraq attackers, iraq defenders vs us invasion, poland and france... had to be liberated - no glorious defense there...
Have to mention that if the attackers "sliders" are not up to the max - helps the defenders too.
Even the taliban needed several decades to kick out the foreigners while hiding behind civilians.

There is already defense bonus for build-up locations -> population, industrial and military centers - and some facilities provide additional defense too.

I would rather like to see artillery and tanks be way more damaging to infrastructure and that above mentioned defense bonuses do not apply to the facilities including the centers itself.

What we see in UA in "game" terms would be a massive diplomatic gift of infantry units with high closecombat value, tube and launcher artillery and quit the tonnage of military goods as ammo... - in some cases even SRU can handle this using the proxy war method - if the diplomatic ties allows (which probably is the current game weakness).
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)

Return to “Suggestions - 2030”