World Market

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Redshadow
Lieutenant

Post by Redshadow »

I was readiung the International Rules for WMN thread and I began thinking about WM reaction. Based on whatI've read before, if you... say... launched a first strike against the cities of a small, less powerful, nation that in effect leveled half their country and killed 4,000,000 civilians without reason...the world market would respond with sanctions and possibly force.

That leads me to ask- is war vs. the WM a fait accompli? Can a player actualy defeat them (on a regional level)? Obviously the player couldnt leave his region and capture the WM capital....but does the player have a shot at defeating the WM, if the WM comes knocking on the Presidential Palace door?

Further more, can you sign a peace treaty of some sort with the WM? Franly, if the WM loses a million men on the gates of Sacremento...I dont believe they would neccessarily continue to have the will to fight.

Regards

Red
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Some of the WM reaction rules are not yet finalized, so we have a bit of thinking to do on this. However, in general the WM will not be 'defeatable' at the regional level. On the other hand it is a good idea to add the ability to bring it to a draw - if you hold your own long enough, the WM might offer a cease to hostilities if you pay some reparations or something.

However, the WM is a nuclear capable force - if you heavily nuke your neighbor, I would expect a nuke attack on your own military installations as the most likely response.

-- George.
Redshadow
Lieutenant

Post by Redshadow »

Well I woudld definately like to see the WM retaliate, against a players first strike, with nuclear weapons...if the situation warrents.

Seems to me that it would be rediculous for a world market invasion to be a fait accompli.

Anyway though, sounds good.

~Red
OXA
Sergeant

Post by OXA »

Will there be some kind of warning system for WM opinion towards you incorperated into the game?

For exampel after you nuke one of your neigbours citys you get an email telling you that the WM are currently discussing retaliation towards you and you would be wise not to p*ss them off any more... atleast for a while =)
herr neumann
Captain

Post by herr neumann »

WM opinion of you is shown in "World Market" panel. At the moment it is not implemented yet, so it is always "indifferent".
It probably shows something like "angry" if WM is not happy with your ways and you better not do anything to piss it off even more.
OXA
Sergeant

Post by OXA »

An opinion bar or opinion indicator is great but still feels not so great.. hmm.. i really think it would add to the feeling of the game if you would recieve e-mails perhaps something like this..

"Today the WM council discussed the recent development in *such* and *such* region. In an pressconference afterwards diplomats described the situation as troubeling questioned about possible WM peacekeeping the diplomats indicated that this had also been discussed as an possible option."

Or..

"Our WM ebassy was aproached today by WM diplomats delivering an ultimatum to stop aggressive behaviour in *such* and *such* region or face an WM intervention."
red
General

Post by red »

You'll be seeing emails from them.

"In a Press Conference today, a World Market Spokesman praised the economic policies of ..."

"Your interest in Weapons of Mass Destruction is of grave concern to us. If you continue to aggressively develop these weapons, we may have to take action."
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

Yes, as Red indicated there are EMails that will be coming from the World Market whenever they have "Concerns" :grin:
OXA
Sergeant

Post by OXA »

That is great :grin:.. looking forward to it already..
krazy mattyd
Sergeant

world market

Post by krazy mattyd »

I dont know. I think that the idea of having a world market is good but not having the ability to attack someone without fearing the WM will retaliate is strange. From what i understand the WM wants everyone to unite anyway they can but is not in favor of military action? Whats with that?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The World Market will not always intefere in military action. There are certian things the World Market frowns upon. Attacking regions with whom you have an allience will not help your standings with the World Market. This is generally a sign of an unstable leader. Using nuclear or chemical weapons will get the WM involved because they start to fear you might get the "if I can't have it, no one can" view. The World Market is looking for one Supreme Ruler but they also want someone that can handle the job. If you can use destabilization activities to cause unrest in a neighbouring region and then move in with tanks to "Pacify rebels and protect the inoccent" the World Market will respect your cunning. It all comes down to WM approval really. If you attack someone and the WM attacks you it's not that they "like the other guy". It's that you've done something they think makes you an undesirable ruler. At times, weak regions will seek WM aid against a strong opponent and becaues of a low WM approval be told the get used to new management :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
CommandeR
Warrant Officer
Location: behind my pc in Holland/Noord-Holland/'t Gooi/Huizen/crailoseweg 41 1272 er ;)

Post by CommandeR »

sounds good, too bad i cant see for meself gheghe :P

but do any of you guys know where i can find some basic information about the world market? i mean, it is an organisation, but how does it get all the men,supplies and money? do stronger nations that still exist give it to them, just like in the days of the un? what is the wm??
"i'd rather have an german tank division infront of me then a french one behind me"
General George S.Patton

<------ Love this quote :D
herr neumann
Captain

Post by herr neumann »

I like the idea that there is strong outside force. If implemented correctly, it means that you really have very strong limits what you can do and what not. Just like in real life.

Will WM rating carry over from one scenario to another? If I have really annoyed WM in regional scenario but manage to win it, will I be hated by everyone in the beginning of next level scenario?
CommandeR
Warrant Officer
Location: behind my pc in Holland/Noord-Holland/'t Gooi/Huizen/crailoseweg 41 1272 er ;)

Post by CommandeR »

wow, meself find that an very deep and good question, nice :)
"i'd rather have an german tank division infront of me then a french one behind me"
General George S.Patton

<------ Love this quote :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We don't have any more information about the WM that I can point you to past what you find on the website or here in the forum. Try using the search tool for WM or World Market and you should find some extra info. The Search tool is probably one of my favorite additions since the forum upgrade.

The WM rating will carry over, mostly. What this means is that we will try and take the rating you had at the end of the last scenario and make a "final analysis" update. So if you had a good rating then on the last day refused a surrender so that you could crush them entirly, it should catch those final actions. We also have small time gaps (30-60 days) between the end of one scenario and the beginning of the next so that we can explain why all the troops are back to full strength, industries are repaired and your troops are deployed entirely differently so we can assume this is a "cooling off" period for the WM where it would shift to a slightly more neutral stance.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion”